PIP home visit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP home visit

Options
dee51
dee51 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, thanks so much for accepting me. I am a 51 year old lady with recently diagnosed autism, bi polar, Elhers Danlos Syndrome. I was awarded PIP in 2016 after providing lots of information etc. They said there was enough evidence to assess me without a face to face. I got enhanced care and just scraped mobility by getting 8 points, which was a shock as I have severe mobility problems. However, overall, I was pleased with the outcome, and did not want to rock the boat by fussing over mobility. I was chuffed to have done everything myself without any help, and be awarded what I was, high rate care, standard mobility.
I had to recently complete a PIP review form after two years. I sent in twice as much information and evidence this time. However, 8 weeks later they have decided to do a home visit. When I rang and asked why, I was told there was not enough information, which is ludicrous as there were over seventeen medical reports and twenty written sheets of A4.
Everyone I spoke to, both at the DWP, and Atos were very rude and did not give me any real ASR’s, only saying that because I had got worse than two years ago, mainly for mobility and physically, they needed to see me After an original melt down, I now realise that I am lucky to be offered a home visit. But I am really worried. I could not do their first visit offer, as I had an urgent hospital appointment. And the second date they have given me is a Monday morning when most of my friends who support me, are working. And I am not allowed to change it as you are only allowed to rearrange first. Because of my autism, I cannot have support from a support worker as I prefer familiar people and find it impossible to connect with outside staff. I have tried, but it made me more ill! Now I am worried I may have to do this alone. Any advice? Has anybody else been in this situation? I am really familiar with the descriptors for PIP, so I can answer all their questions no problem. But if I do so, I am worried that they will see me as capable and hold it against me.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 27 Connected
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hi @dee51, I'm really sorry to hear this. It sounds like a very difficult situation. I think it's probably very important for you to have someone present who can support you through the process. If a support worker's not an option, is there anyone at all who you might be able to ask to take some time off to help you?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • dee51
    dee51 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    I had to ask eight people. All working. Well, they would be, it’s on a Monday Morning when they are visiting! I am sure PIP purposely choose times when they know it is difficult for family and friends to attend. But I have found a great friend Whois a teacher and currently on.y working Tuesday to Friday.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    Options
    dee51 said:
    I had to ask eight people. All working. Well, they would be, it’s on a Monday Morning when they are visiting! I am sure PIP purposely choose times when they know it is difficult for family and friends to attend. But I have found a great friend Whois a teacher and currently on.y working Tuesday to Friday.

Someone to give you moral support is fine. However the assessor will not want to hear them talk about your difficulties - it is for you to explain that to the assessor.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @dee51, I'm glad you managed to find someone for moral support. Hope the assessment isn't too stressful today. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.