is there any charity that can help me get a car for my dad? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

is there any charity that can help me get a car for my dad?

lisamac02
lisamac02 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited March 2019 in Transport and travel
Hello 

was wondering if you could help me please my dad as a disability and will never get better but he over 65 and dosnt get pip due to is age so he can’t get a disability car he use to love going out when he was fit and well just for a drive but now he can’t get in and out of the car it’s so heart breaking and unfair is there any charity that can help me get a car for him please so I can take my dad out to the beach it stead of him just sitting there crying with depression please can somebody point me in the right direction as I rang DWP and there was no help what so ever he worked all is life played is taxes and for what to be told sorry we can’t hekp you by the DWP 

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    edited March 2019
    Hi @lisamac02 welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear about this, you may want to get in touch with Age UK for advice, your local council or CAB. The Disabled Motoring website have some suggestions, you may be interested in the meantime to get around at a lower cost; like Taxicard 

Please keep us updated and if you have further questions, do not hesitate to ask.
  • lisamac02
    Hi

i have tried all of the above and all there say is sorry can’t help due to him not getting pip
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm afraid there isn't any charities that will help with the cost of a car.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lisamac02
    Not ever half cost?
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    The biggest cost is not buying a car, the cost of insurance, Road fund licence and upkeep all have to be taken into consideration and will often cost more than the purchase price
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    lisamac02 said:
    Not ever half cost?
    I'm afraid not. Having a car is luxury to some people because of the costs involved. It doesn't just stop once you buy the car and everything else that goes with it, there's maintaining the car too and that includes, MOT, tyres, fuel, repairs etc. Certainly not cheap and i can't imagine a charity funding for that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Benistmonk
    Benistmonk Community member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    You can buy a car for as little as a £100 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @lisamac02 Pleased to meet you welcome.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide and advise members .

Sorry to hear about your father. Understand the big problems . I think what is important is finding support groups for your father.

You mentioned depression. Please can I ask does he get any support for his mental health .

If he got support for his mental health. Then he would have access to floating support or an outreach worker. Who would help him with any thing mental health plus welfare, benefits and also signposting to support groups .

I understand he has a disability most mental health charities do take clientele with disabilities and mental health.

Some thing to consider.

Used this one last time.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

I know that might be useful to contact them.

I am in my early fifties lost my car last year and do not consider to take up driving again.

My disability and mental health.  Use taxis.

Not only the cost but the safety aspects.

Did you ask AGEUK.  They have support groups.  Might be useful to think of that. For another way to get your father out.

That is the main point not your wishing to take your father out. Trying to get your father involved in support groups , all helps.

If he met some one of his age then they may start to help each other.  Might meet some one with a car.  Who may befriend your father.

There are befriending schemes. Might be worth having a look also on line.  In your area.

Befriending means some becomes a friend to your father.  Usually some one of his own age and they help each other. Get and assist each other with anything. Plus chat and be supportive.

I did this as a volunteer role. Used my car to meet several gents my age. Befriend them used to take them out shopping, appointments. Visits planned included . Whatever they wished to do.

I remember one gent liked museums so we visited them.

Hope that also helps.  I believe AGE UK might help here.  Contact your local community volunteer bureau. They have maybe a list of organisations that do this.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.