(PIP) Will the tribunal consider only certain parts if you specifically request it? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

(PIP) Will the tribunal consider only certain parts if you specifically request it?

Spencer_Mansion
Spencer_Mansion Community member Posts: 8 Listener
I remember reading somewhere that you can ask the tribunal to limit their review to certain specific sections during the appeal if you specifically request it. Unfortunately I can't remember where I read this, and I can only find people mentioning that they always review the whole of the decision, so if anybody can shed any light on this, it would be much appreciated, and useful for others as well.
Thank you.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello, from what I have read is that they can and will look at the whole award at the tribunal look at the evidence that was presented at your acessment so sending further evidence maybe of help if it is related and relevant as prove of your conditions at the F2F, any new evidence or illnesses, disability will not be looked at only the original claim.
  • Spencer_Mansion
    Thanks wilko. The main thing I'm wondering about is the discussion at the tribunal itself and what is brought up there - can the claimant opt to only focus on the descriptors they've contested, since that's the point of the appeal to begin with? If this is done, will the tribunal just default back to the arguments and evidence already accepted for the other descriptors?
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    The claimant does not dictate how the Tribunal hearing should be carried out - that is down to the Judge.
    You are appealing against a decision made by the DWP and that decision in it's entirety is what the Tribunal would want to examine.
  • Spencer_Mansion
    You are appealing against a decision made by the DWP and that decision in it's entirety is what the Tribunal would want to examine.

That's what I understand, yes, but the paragraph I highlighted in the other thread got me thinking. Also, I'm doing this on behalf of someone else so it's a bit different because I'm trying to put their case across. Our appeal letter only mentioned the areas we disagreed with so I assumed they'd focus on areas of disagreement. There's nothing new to add about the other areas.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.