Neurological conditions
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

Anyone with dysarthria?

hughs1hughs1 Member Posts: 3 Listener
edited March 2019 in Neurological conditions
Hello I have been diagnosed with dysarthria and would really welcome some support thanks

Replies

• Ami2301Ami2301 Community champion Posts: 6,624 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @hughs1 welcome to the community! I have not heard of Dysarthria before, would you mind telling us a bit about the condition?
    Community Champion
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • wildlifewildlife Member Posts: 1,316 Pioneering
    Dysarthria is difficulty speaking caused by brain damage or brain changes later in life. ... slurred, nasal-sounding or breathy speech. (Copied and pasted.) What type of support do you need @hughs1
  • hughs1hughs1 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited March 2019
    I had minor stroke during an operation for an ankle injury and it is like you described above. The support I need is to connect with fellow sufferers. As before the operation I was suffering from anxiety and depression and this has just compounded it Thankyou
    Are you currently receiving any emotional support?
    Community Champion
  • hughs1hughs1 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    No I am going to see my Gp next week I was only diagnosed yesterday with dysarthria
    It's good that you have an appointment lined up with your GP, keep us updated and let us know if we can help you further :)
    Community Champion
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,159 Scope community team
    Hi @hughs1, welcome to our community. Please let us know how you get on and if you have any questions or need some advice, please don't hesitate to ask!
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,159 Scope community team
    Hello again @hughs1. I've had a look around for dysarthria-related support groups and there don't appear to be any ones in the UK. However, another member of our community @phnix210 has mentioned having dysarthria in the past and you might find some support from our members in the neurological conditions discussion group.
    I hope your GP appointment goes well and please stay in touch!

Adrian
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
Sign in or join us to comment.