Anyone with dysarthria? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anyone with dysarthria?

Options
hughs1
hughs1 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello I have been diagnosed with dysarthria and would really welcome some support thanks

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @hughs1 welcome to the community! I have not heard of Dysarthria before, would you mind telling us a bit about the condition?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Options
    Dysarthria is difficulty speaking caused by brain damage or brain changes later in life. ... slurred, nasal-sounding or breathy speech. (Copied and pasted.) What type of support do you need @hughs1
  • hughs1
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I had minor stroke during an operation for an ankle injury and it is like you described above. The support I need is to connect with fellow sufferers. As before the operation I was suffering from anxiety and depression and this has just compounded it Thankyou
  • Ami2301
    Options
    Are you currently receiving any emotional support?
  • hughs1
    Options
    No I am going to see my Gp next week I was only diagnosed yesterday with dysarthria
  • Ami2301
    Options
    It's good that you have an appointment lined up with your GP, keep us updated and let us know if we can help you further :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,937 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @hughs1, welcome to our community. Please let us know how you get on and if you have any questions or need some advice, please don't hesitate to ask!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,937 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello again @hughs1. I've had a look around for dysarthria-related support groups and there don't appear to be any ones in the UK. However, another member of our community @phnix210 has mentioned having dysarthria in the past and you might find some support from our members in the neurological conditions discussion group.
    I hope your GP appointment goes well and please stay in touch!

Adrian
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.