ESA and PIP Help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and PIP Help

NormaBateman1520
NormaBateman1520 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello everyone, and thank you in advance for your help.

I am considering reporting improvement in my condition, due to treatment over the past couple of years; but have a few questions about this first.  I am currently claiming Support ESA (with SSP) contribution, also PIP at standard mobility and enhanced daily living.  My condition is variable, so I might have left reporting the changes longer than I should have.  Can I just ask, please:

1.  I will be asked for how long my improvement lasted for, will medical evidences be sought regarding this?

2. Would I face a long wait without any payments till a re-assessment?  I get housing and council tax benefit, would these continue due to fact I        have nil income from job / pension / other? 

3. During the wait, will I need to see my GP about Fit Notes for ESA?  Will PIP stop?

4. I still have issues, but descriptors not fully satisfied for last 3 months.  Do some people simply wait for their next assessment, and thus avoid          the lower / lack of payments till then? 

5.  If someone effectively found not in need of ESA/PIP any longer on re-assessment, yet claiming Support ESA and PIP before the re-       assessment, are they investigated further down the line?  Though the claims are closed?

Sorry about all these questions, but I feel sure they are relevant to more than me alone, and would much appreciate your replies. Having variable condition does throw doubt on things.  I am aware that claiming under same condition in future might be disallowed.   Thank you again.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi

Before taking any action I suggest that you get trained help from an advice agency near you.
    I commend you for wanting to do the right thing but reporting any change of circumstance is fraught with pitfalls.

Are you now fit to return to work ?
    You say that your condition is variable, PIP is awarded based on the majority of time. How much of your improvement is due to treatment and how much is due to learning to manage your condition ?
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Esa I’d tell I no my friend didn’t and she kept pip but esa stopped and they wanted money back from when he was fit I’ve been nil income since feb but get rent coax paid 
  • NormaBateman1520
    NormaBateman1520 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi again, 

Could you please say what the pitfalls are of reporting a change of circumstances, please?  I am aware that one can be deprived of benefits except HB/CTax, unless claims for ESA is closed. 

Would say most improvement due to treatment. 

I phoned ESA, who told me my next WCA not due till end this year or early next (2 years after last one in January 2018). PIP not till 2022. 

Will medical evidence be asked for to show how long my improvement has been for?  This is the main question here. Is my GP contacted even if not making new claim? (Long wait to see GP)

Though my condition is variable I have seen an upward trend of some improvement, and would like to try working again. Not seen my GP yet, is that the place to start?  The person I spoke with on phone told my GP,  then go to the Job centre plus to report, so that the right department gets the report?  Has anyone else reported improvement, and what happened? Thank you all. 

• Dotty123
    They ask your dr for a report before you go to assessment if you don’t tell them you’d pay whatever you owe back pip does say on any letters you must inform them of any change guess it’s your choice to inform them or leave it and get caught good luck 
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    They don't generally contact your doctors, but may in this situation....
  • Dotty123
    They asked my dr for report then I got one may be diff reasons
  • overthinkingagain
    overthinkingagain Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    This is just my opinion having not been in this situation, so it’s not something I have done but...If you are on ESA support group and feel an improvement, perhaps you could contact your local job centre about meeting with a work coach? I am sure I read that work coaches are available to the ESA support group on their request. They may be able to call you and offer guidance of what you can do on support group in terms of moving  back towards work. This may be more productive option for you and help you to slowly add a new routine into your life whilst monitoring your health for any changes. It is important not to rush yourself into change as stress can impact health conditions too. It’s great you are managing your condition more effectively now, all the best.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.