Pip assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip assessment

cat1932
cat1932 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
I had an awful pip assessment yesterday I was even asked if I had been to a 'normal' school when I was young

Comments

• cat1932
    Dear member, 

The assessor was only interested in her tick boxes on the computer. My mum tried to explain she helps ne to catheterise sometimes and she replied I'm not listening to her while she's speaking I'm going to do my spell check. Also she said she needed to examine me I use an electric chair outside and in the corridors to the toilet in work and use crutches at home and in a small office in work. The assessor said she was going to write I refused if I didn't agree to the examination. So I walked to the couch with my crutches. I couldn't do the exercises I have nerve damage in one foot. Had operations on both legs  She asked me how many minutes can you walk. I tried to explain i cant walk 30 seconds I am stopping in constant pain but she said you have to give me an answer.  My first two assessments were not as bad as this. I feel awful. I work full time and struggle with my illnesses. The assessor asked me nothing about my illnesses, she Ashe was I single married any children. She asked did I have any animals cats or dogs what is the relevance. 

I am am dreading the decision letter I feel like crying. 

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger

I applaud you for managing to work full time, I am sure that it cannot be easy. The HCP may have been trying to establish your functionality in light of you working. This is no excuse and I am not defending the actions of the HCP. Give it a few days and ask for a copy of the assessment report

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • cat1932
    Hi CockneyRebel 
    thank you for your reply.  I will take your advice and wait a few days. If the assessment report is Incorrect I will have to inform the PIP.  I will let you know when I receive  the dreaded brown envelope too. 

i enjoy going to work it is healthy mixing with people.  I do find it difficult at times, I believe a person has to keep going there is always someone worse off. I am happy to have a job I am lucky. I am on water pills and can only take them after work as I wouldn't be able to work otherwise. 

the assessment centre had cameras everywhere a ramp outside but the doors were not automatic. Not disabled friendly. I had to ring a bell and they kept buzzing I couldn't open the double set of  doors with my electric chair. The assessor wasn't interested she said that's just he way it is. 

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me I am grateful 

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi cat

Please do let us know. It is great to have a member with such a positive attitude
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @cat1932, I'm sorry to hear you had such a negative experience at your assessment and how frustrating to find the assessment centre entrance wasn't accessible! Definitely take @CockneyRebel's advice and request a copy of the assessment report in a few days time.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • madquasimodo
    madquasimodo Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    Sounds like they had a bad day and took it out during your assessment, they have to ask for you to do some ROM (range of movement) you should only do what's easy and possible, they should not push you to do things you cannot manage, mine said "just do what you can without hurting yourself" 
    I would expect the worst for your reply, fully expecting to ask for Mandatory Reconsideration, if your lucky the assessment will be good, if not just head to the nearest CAB or advisor and start the appeal process.

It's sad to hear a place where you have to go for assessments does not have adaptions for the disabled, couldn't make it up.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.