WAITED FOR A REPAIR FOR SIX HOURS THAT TOOK ONLY FIVE MINUTES TO BE COMPLETED — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

WAITED FOR A REPAIR FOR SIX HOURS THAT TOOK ONLY FIVE MINUTES TO BE COMPLETED

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hell every one. Thought I would like to share this.

I rang my Housing Association on Sunday morning around 7.30 am to ask if some one could come out.

To sort out the boiler.   The pressure had gone and had no hot water or heating. In a cold bungalow.

I could not do this because of my disability with my hands.

When I rang the call handler mumbling.  Asked him how long be about six hours.  I explained my illness and conditions etc. No responsive.

For a repair that took probably five minutes to do.

Asked him to speak up. Several times politely.

I ended up waiting.  Waiting and waiting.  Around lunchtime a call came through.

My landline has a screen calls on it so this crackling, mobile .  Engineer announced dealing with a gas leak else where be along this afternoon.

Now I am beginning to get worried, anxiety setting in. Feeling very cold.

As the hours continued now 5pm no sign he rang lunchtime.

By 6pm rang the call centre of my housing association explained my situation. He will give you a ring. She did apologise added we are very busy to day.

Me thinking hang on only a five minute job. Not for me to say could not any one else be allocated.

He rang at around 7pm .  Remember have rang early morning. 7.40 am.

By 7.48pm he turned up to see a distressed, vulnerable cold gent. Shivering and after trying to keep warm with his coat on.

Spent most of the day drinking hot water, eating much as I can but when you cold your mind is numbed.

The main thing after five minutes he had done the repair. Uttered the words this happens every four months as I stressed keeps happening.

Made a complaint yesterday, to the Housing Association.

Yesterday really exhausted cold and not too good.

I feel not happy as this could have been harmed my health.

Also one other point got stressed, rash this morning.

For a Housing Association making a lot of money not good.  Did add to this engineer not his fault by the way he is only directed by Housing Association to carry out repairs.

Some one should have said to him how long and then allocated some one else. There responsible.

Did also mention Estate Manager on this estate why have we not got one. As this could have been done by him.  Anything like that.

I just wonder if any one else had similar. Like to share and care.

Thank you all for reading.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    edited April 2019
    I'm with a company that manages the homes for the council, their repairs department is awful and the area patch manager is rude and ignorant so I avoid her like the plague. I don't like having to contact them at the best of times because I really don't want people in my home due to my anxiety.

I have a list of things that the repairs department have either cocked up or haven't fixed properly the first time around, they've caused leaks, I've had to call them out several times to fix the same thing, before I moved in the doors were hung wrong, one was even hung the wrong way around, the list goes on. Only recently I was having an issue with the toilet, I had 2 lots of people out to fix it until I decided I would type out a note for the last person who then fixed the toilet properly. If I listed everything they'd done or not done I'd be here for the next how long.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @thespiceman I am so sorry to hear this, that's a long time to wait. How are you doing now? Please keep us updated with the complaint. All the best.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited April 2019
    Very sorry to hear that @thespiceman. Please try to take it easy today and let us know how this all goes.

I don't have too many good things to say about repair agencies either. The last time I was in a housing association property we were left waiting two weeks without hot water because our young family (a housebound adult and two small kids) weren't considered a priority for a 5 minute boiler repair. 

Then again, I've not had very good experience with private renting in the past either — 8 months without a working boiler and a newborn? Pass!

Community Manager
    Scope
  • thespiceman
    edited April 2019

Hello @WF2k Thank you for replying to my post.  Understand what you are experiencing.

I know I am not alone with any of this.  I can understand the anxiety you suffer.

Same here.

I hate calling any body in this Housing Association.  My concern is not only others who like myself have experienced the rudeness and inability to assist any body with problems.

Those who had the misfortunate either to be ill or have a lot worse than me.

Why is this happening to decent tenants.?

Something has to change has it not.

I know have had similar experiences to your good self.

What annoys me the personal irk and itch. Is the pats on the back magazine all glossy, awards and everything else feeling good.  They issue every month or so.

Embarrassed to read this all the wonderful things doing for their tenants and beyond.

Never heard of any of this we get nothing.  Asked for some help and support. Lots of little things.

One I asked for was a skip for tenants to put their rubbish and those things to go to the tip for. Recycling centre. Lots of us have no cars.  That we can not have in our three bins. Like plastics, household.

Zero response had heard one time had a support housing officer never hear anything. Who is that?

Only joined because have a charity that deals with mental health.  That was the stuff of night mares.

There I am doing volunteer work caught in the middle one side angry, verbal clientele wanting care and attention. Stories so many. On the other my friend and his colleagues all support workers poorly paid and no money . Not wishing or wanting to contribute to care .

Some did like my friend always had a heart.

My friend ringing me up for a hand out. Got no pay.

One thing I did learn volunteering for the Housing Association and charity. Got if you wish to volunteer. Ended up doing so much of picking up of other volunteers. Who had left their mistakes some days over run with so many issues and complaints.

Had to call it a day.

Exhausted and physically, mentally worn out.

All I can add I am with you. As a community member and friend.

All I say sorry what has happened to you.

One final thought if I should have called some one from the Checkatrade website. Charged it to the Housing Association. Might not have got my money back.

Pleasure to talk to you.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • thespiceman

Hello @Antonia_Scope Thank you for your support.  Will do.

I be OK just felt yesterday could not do anything. Had to and want to do some of the forum. Duties I love doing as my role. Welcomes and Introductions.

Had to rest instead. 

I will probably be OK now waiting for the outcome . Got Email this morning.

Thank you for sharing and caring.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • thespiceman

Hello @Adrian_Scope.  Thank you for kind words. Understand you.

Thank you for sharing.

Sorry to hear this.

I have been in many sorts of housing especially private the last twenty years.

Had one landlady if you call her that. Had a lot of property her and her friends all widows all with money all with financial advisors.

Monthly meetings. Me the tenant trying to get the toilet fixed a hole in the roof or other such expense no matter how small.

I had to pay the bill.  She would pay me later.

If she came back from one of her holidays paid for by the tenants or her friends. Who lived all around the world. All sunny places.

No hotel bills.

One year five holidays...

So I left after eight weeks one such landlady put her relatives in the house. I just left.

Word got to me some one told me what has happened who was a previous tenant.

One night her relatives scarpered with the entire contents of the home. Everything from carpets to light bulbs to electricals, fridge, freezer, oven plus all the furniture.  Even carpets.

This landlady had spent thousands.

No one wishes any harm but sometimes those who cause you problems hurt and harm you.

I feel for you and those who had similar experiences.

Do think this new regulation do a lot of good abolished the section 21.

I had a private landlord his sister lived three doors down from the home I rented from him.

Imagine every other week passing by.  He used to say you can give me some of the rent. After signing up a contract and giving him bank details.

That lasted a few weeks.  As I woke up to see him in the kitchen making a cup of tea. He had let himself in with a key.

Had enough so I told him so and he said your evicted right now.

Which was not right but that was over thirty years ago. Thing is did and made one important thing I always did when ever rented private.

Made a note of anything and after like repairs or any damage just in case he came back to give you grief.  Used one of those old cameras. Add to that made a minor note of anything I had bought in to any home.

Especially because some landlords make an issue out of it.

That my sofa not yours. he would say. .  Has been known.

One hopes and prays that things work out for you is there any body to speak to. About your situation.

Landlords Housing Association. Knew some landlords are in this .  Various names from area to area.  It comes under.

Hope that helps.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.