Assessment recording vs pip award. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Assessment recording vs pip award.

yanhow1
yanhow1 Community member Posts: 22 Connected
edited April 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi all,
Does anyone know, or is there any stats on this:-?
Do people who record their assessments in general get the right decision from dwp without having to go to tribunal?

I had my lifetime DLA mobility award dropped to standard mobility PIP after lies and misrepresentation by the assessor, I had the car I’d been able to get for the last 9 years taken away but I didn’t contest it past the mandatory reconsideration because I had to much going on at the time,  I just bought the car I had and got on with things.
Three years on and I’m up for review and I will be recording the assessment, I’ll also ask my carer to take notes whilst watching every word typed by the assessor and just In case the assessor refuses to allow recording even after I get capita’s permission I will covertly record on an iPhone.

i wonder how many people get the award they need without having to go for assessment and how many get it after assessment without recording it,

i also had had to go to tribunal for my ESA award, the panel awarded me what I needed after literally 5 minutes of listening to the lies from my assessment and told the DWP representative he should be ashamed and the hearing should never have had to happen, and that they had no argument whatsoever with my claim,  but that’s not PIP.

thanks for reading,

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @yanhow1, hello and welcome, you must remember that DLA was awarded about your disability whereas PIP uses a different criteria for assessment which is based on your abilities to cope, manage the PIP descriptors safely, repeatedly and in a timely manner. As for recording your assessment you need two identical recorders and be able to give the assor a copy after the assessment. Covertly recording if noticed will end the assessment and you will be reported plus if you manage to covertly record your assessment it then has to be professionally transscribed to stand any chance of being given in evidence in a tribunal hearing. 
  • Freddy67
    Freddy67 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    You really need to ask for permission before hand and record it as Wilko mentioned above.
  • yanhow1
    Thanks for those comments but I would have thought you’d give me a bit more credit than that,
    I have read those words a hundred times on this forum alone, but that’s all you got from my post?
    obviously I should have said “record legally” not just “record” and as I said, even after I get capitas permission I will still covertly record. This will be so that I have proof of an assessor refusing to be recorded after seeing capitas written permission, which they do according to others on here. 
    I did say freddy67 “after I get permission”.

anyway, forget about my actual question, nobody really knows, I just thought it was a topic up for discussion.
  • Freddy67
    Freddy67 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    My apologies, I didn't read properly. Just reread it.

I'd be interested in that one as well, I've seen people state that they've used recordings to have decisions changed, they didn't even have them transcribed.

My friend recorded hers a couple of weeks ago, the assessor seemed a bit confused when he saw the recorders, but he got out the necessary paperwork work for her to sign.

• Fetlock
    Fetlock Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    yanhow1 said:
    Thanks for those comments but I would have thought you’d give me a bit more credit than that,
    I have read those words a hundred times on this forum alone, but that’s all you got from my post?
    obviously I should have said “record legally” not just “record” and as I said, even after I get capitas permission I will still covertly record. This will be so that I have proof of an assessor refusing to be recorded after seeing capitas written permission, which they do according to others on here. 
    I did say freddy67 “after I get permission”.

anyway, forget about my actual question, nobody really knows, I just thought it was a topic up for discussion.
    If you notify them in advance then there should be no reason why the assessor would refuse (assuming you bring the right recording equipment) . Asking in advance enables them to ask the assessor if they are comfortable being recorded. If they aren't comfortable with it then they ask another assessor who is.

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    I'd like to know the answer to that too!
  • yanhow1
    ilovecats said:
    You have every right to record it but the assessor has to agree to it. If not they will have to try and find a different assessor.

Covert recording is a stupid idea and if you get caught your assessment will be terminated and you won’t get any award. 

Also, it cannot be submitted as evidence as Capita will not have a copy.
    Not the topic but once again, thank you for making that clearer still.

ok, if the assessor comes to my house, I show them written consent from capita and they refuse to be recorded legally, they throw my case out and I get nothing anyway,
    wouldn’t it be better to have some form of proof for any future legal action ?

it might be a stupid idea but I’m not stupid enough to get caught doing it.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    ilovecats said:

If the assessor refuses to be recorded, as is their right currently, your claim should not be stopped. The assessment provider should find someone who is happy to be recorded.

Also, that should not be a problem, because you have to give notice to record, so it should not come as a surprise to the assessor. If the assessor is ambushed on a home consult with a request to record, they have every right to say no as advanced noticed was not given.
    Given that choice I do hope that if and when the recording of an assessment becomes the norm that claimants are given the same choice and not compelled for fear of refusing and having their assessment terminated?
  • yanhow1
    Ilovecats,
    if the assessor’s at my house and refuses even after seeing my written permission, capita would not be able to replace them, what happens then ?
    do I have to concede and carry on without recording ?
    or would they terminate the interview and rearrange the appointment with a willing assessor without damaging my claim ?

I ask this because of miscommunication between capita and the assessor maybe,

I had a home visit arranged for last week but the assessor didn’t turn up, mainly because the assessor had left the job and capita didn’t know, so miscommunication does happen.
  • yanhow1
    Also ilovecats, I’d appreciate it if you would have a look at my other post “ I didn’t loose everything “ and give your thoughts on it. 
    Hope you don’t mind me asking,

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.