Can the appointee attend face to face PIP assessment without the claimant? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can the appointee attend face to face PIP assessment without the claimant?

Options
Andrew1
Andrew1 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited April 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA

I have been accepted by the DWP as the appointee for a young person for whom I am claiming PIP.  She has autism, severe anxiety associated with new people, places, professionals, cameras, etc.,  as stated on the application form.  DWP (ATOS - IAS) have 'invited' myself to a face to face assessment, stating that I must bring her with me.   Given the above, it would clearly be a negative experience for her (in terms of her mental health and well being) to the extent that it would be inappropriate for me to ask her to attend.

I note in the DWP paperwork states (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-1-the-assessment-process#paper-based-reviews)

"1.15.17 Where a claimant has an appointee, this will be flagged in the initial referral to the AP. Where an appointee has been nominated to represent the claimant, the claimant must not be instructed to attend a face-to-face consultation by the AP. This is because they have been deemed incapable of engaging directly with the DWP or its contracted APs. Instead, and only if a face-to-face consultation is deemed necessary, the AP must send the invite to the appointee only."

Am I correct in believing that ATOS - IAS should not have invited her, and that I am within my rights to attend the appointment without her?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,191 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I believe that the claimant must attend the assessment with you. I'm my daughters appointee and her first PIP assessment she also needed to be there, although it was a home assessment. You will be able to answer all questions on behalf of the person, with the exception of possibly a few questions at the very end of the assessment which they will have to answer their self.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mercedesbd
    mercedesbd Community member Posts: 109 Courageous
    Options
    Yes you are. And if they say no - due to your Equality Rights 2010 they have to take ‘ reasonable adjustments ‘ when necessary and think it’s safe to say your young person shouldn’t be attending

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.