Handling my new job and mental health — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Handling my new job and mental health

aquamarina01
aquamarina01 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2019 in Work and employment
Thank you for letting me join ? .
I'm 52 , I live with depression and have done since the age of 19, I have also completed an online 'test ' for autism and scored very highly on it - that answers a lot of things for me . For the past 9 years I have lived with chronic back pain that has caused problems with my mobility , After being pumped with painkillers for 7 yrs,  I was sent to have an MRI scan and an x-ray and it confirmed I have arthris and have extensive damage . I have good and bad days but you just have to get on with it . I work full time and refuse to take the time off because of my back , I don't get paid (agency) and i dont get any additional support /help plus I don't want to make myself unemployable because of the back and mental health issues.  
I just count myself lucky as there are many out there that are far worse off than me . 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @aquamarina01 and welcome

I applaud you for carrying on working, many people with less to deal with try it on. Is there anything we can help you with ?
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • aquamarina01
    aquamarina01 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I'm lacking confidence in the workplace because of the bullying and harassment in my last job by the team leaders and managers and a director who told me he was sick of my mental health and bad back . My hours were cut to half so I couldn't afford rent etc so I was forced to leave and now I'm temping . I feel unsettled and anxious as it's temporary . My new company know nothing about my mental health and I just seem to have gone into myself and rarely talk to anyone for fear I'm going to be bullied to the point I either leave or I start getting dark thought again .
    My new company are absolutely great and the staff are lovely, I've drip fed tiny bits of information about the bullying to try to explain why I'm so quiet but I don't want to be branded a trouble maker (I complained about my treatment at my last place of work) but I don't want to be branded a victim either . 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @aquamarina01 welcome to the community! I'm terribly sorry to hear about your past experience with your job. You may find some information helpful in support with problems at work. Hope this helps and please let us know if there is anything that we can help you with further :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @aquamarina01 Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry what is happening. You have come to the right place for support and information.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join.

I do understand what you are going through. I have mental health issues as well as a disability.

The difficulty is that being in work with any condition or illness and disability is not easy to deal with. Especially as you have added getting bullying.

From previous employment.

I have had similar unfortunately had to leave. Usually on schemes.

I had to realise my mental health and conditions disability were causing me some issues and problems.

In my case being employed short term means a lot of pressure stress often taking on workloads.

Usually from previous employees.  As in your case as well misunderstood and bullying .

Plus sudden realisation my anxiety and related alcohol intake becoming increasing.

My concern is you and finding some solutions. I think you need to be honest and open and try to identify how you as a person can deal with your health issues.

Understand it what you need to cope and deal with any stressful situation or problem in a work environment.

I know there are organisations out there that could and might offer support, guidance and advice to maintain your wellbeing.

While in employment.

Many organisations have employer advisors and signposting to relevant support.

I know this because used either MIND or other organisations relevant.

Have a look on line. Just some guidance for you .

I did the right thing and contacted a local charity that helped. Offering me some solutions.

I have used this one as well.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

There often have employment advisors and do offer a lot of incentives, initiatives to help those and guide those to understanding mental health. Something to look at.

Understand you wish to continue working and I admire that. This especially good in this current environment but I do not want you to be in my previous situation.

Many organisations and companies are realising that they need to adjust and change the way they deal with working environments.

Did have one company worked for added in therapy and counselling to those who did need it and offered a lot of support.

Understanding and be supportive.

What is important is how you as a person responds to anything that effects your disability or mental health.

Aspects of employment are changing.  Employers are looking at certain structures in place for the wellbeing of and health of their staff.

Wish you all the success in anything you do.

Please if I can offer anything further or anything you wish to know.

Happy to help and listen.

Keep in touch.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.