Too old to claim PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Too old to claim PIP

Options
Bazza1953
Bazza1953 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi my name is Barry weve got a huge problem with my wifes pip complaint ?
Shes just had her 3rd assessment in 4yrs now been told shes too old to claim enhanced rate mobility of pip she is 68 we know the law regarding age but were hoping to go to TRIBUNAL when my wife first claimed in 2015 was awarded enhanced daily living but only standard mobility for pip now here needs have not changed we first tried to appeal decision but was told the decision maker decision was final then onto 2017 same again phoned DWP to be told Decision maker was final now onto 2019 wifes needs the same have been told DWP cannot award enhanced mobility for pip because shes 68 well these last 5yrs  have has been a nightmare we know, my wife should of been awarded enhanced on both daily living & enhanced mobility when she was 64 any thoughts on this issue thanks B.BARR 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Bazza1953 welcome to the community! To apply for PIP, the claimant must be between the age of 16-64. If the claimant receives PIP before turning the age of 65 then they will continue to be in receipt of this. 

Once turning 65, or older, the claimant needs to apply for Attendance Allowance.

Hope this helps :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Bazza1953 said:
    Hi my name is Barry weve got a huge problem with my wifes pip complaint ?
    Shes just had her 3rd assessment in 4yrs now been told shes too old to claim enhanced rate mobility of pip she is 68 we know the law regarding age but were hoping to go to TRIBUNAL when my wife first claimed in 2015 was awarded enhanced daily living but only standard mobility for pip now here needs have not changed we first tried to appeal decision but was told the decision maker decision was final then onto 2017 same again phoned DWP to be told Decision maker was final now onto 2019 wifes needs the same have been told DWP cannot award enhanced mobility for pip because shes 68 well these last 5yrs  have has been a nightmare we know, my wife should of been awarded enhanced on both daily living & enhanced mobility when she was 64 any thoughts on this issue thanks B.BARR 
    Based on what you have written, you applied for PIP when your wife was 64? If that is correct then you should have taken the claim to a Tribunal for the best chance of getting enhanced mobility.
    Was the 2015 assessment due to previously being on DLA?
    So the DWP said that their decision was final and because of that statement you incorrectly assumed that you could not push the claim any further.
    Didn't the DWP tell you that you had the option of going to an appeal Tribunal? Seems like you have been misled and ill informed by the DWP.

Of course you don't have to go to appeal if you don't want to. I didn't not because of what the DWP said but because I just knew that I would not have been able to cope and was happy to get anything that the DWP decided I should have..

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.