I have been badly misinterpreted and lied about on a mental health assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have been badly misinterpreted and lied about on a mental health assessment

Poppet09
Poppet09 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited May 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have been badly misinterpreted and lied about on a mental health assessment by a paramedic can anyone help 

Comments

• Poppet09
    been disabled higher rate care lower rate mobility for 15 years now and had assessment with paramedic I have bi polar hyper mania type 2 yet she lied on every point on form I’m at the end of my tether on phone explaining to ppl can anyone help x
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello, you never posted if you where migrating from DLA to PIP. If this is your situation then you may have misunderstood the criteria between the two benefits. DLA was based on your disability illnesses. Whereas PIP is about your abilities to cope, manage the PIP descriptors safely, repeatedly and in a timely manner in the course of your daily life. 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Poppet09 welcome to the community! Sorry to hear  what has happened. I'm glad you have received some responses on your other post. Let us know if we can be of any further help :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • LB14
    LB14 Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    Hi @Poppet09 Welcome to the community. I’m sad at what’s happened to you. If there’s anything the community can do, don’t hesitate to ask. ?
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @Poppet09 Pleased to meet you welcome.

Sorry this has happened. 

You have come to the right place for support and information .

I am one of the team of community champions. We advise, and help new members who join the forum.

I am my self have mental health issues.

I do know you can appeal the decision we have lots on our website.

My guidance would be try to get some support with your appeal.  Do you have any one supporting you.?

Support worker or member of a crisis team.  They should be advising you and supporting you through all of this.

If you do not have a support worker .  Speak to your Doctor about getting some one who may help your with your mental health.

I used charities. Used this one last time might be useful.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Can help with wellbeing,health plus benefits and assessments.

Something to consider.

Speak to CAB would be advisable as well.  They have expertise and knowledge on benefits and would help you.

Please if you wish to ask anything else be happy to help.  Be supportive.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Poppet09
    Sorry been on pip since it first came out this was a reassessment an nothing has changed I have gotten worse as I have fought breast cancer for 4 years and left with heart damage now as well ..and no she flat out failed to mention things stated and lied about things she did mention i have witness as well I was one o first to go tribunal over bi polar and mental health in 2003 when diagnosed so I know about going to cab I have appointments coming up also John mousley dealt with my case last time it’s just my quality of living worse my condition effects me more daily now the only thing that completely changed from me gettin high rate care low rate mobility to scoring zeros this time was the assessor so I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue thank you all for your comments an help x
  • thespiceman

Hello @Poppet09 Thank you for reply. Yes there will be lots of our members going through similar experiences to your self.

I mentioned the link to the charity concerned. Because of two reasons. First one they can help with your wellbeing and health.

No matter how you are with your mental health.  Even if you had support from mental health teams from your County Council.

I have several times. I know if you need additional support. It is not working.  Anything you get.

Then you need to evaluate your own health needs.  You are in control remember .

You have the right to good mental health and wellbeing.  Does matter if your being not listened to or not getting any where to maintain your conditions.

Second reason is they have the charity. Have support worker or outreach workers. Can help with attending assessments. Speak up for you. Give you advice and guidance on any thing benefits.

Can help with appeals.  Help and continuous wellbeing is so important.

Something to consider.

I have mental health issues a long time. Also knowledge and education is so important. Still learning.

Happy to say hopefully CAB will advise you give you some support.  You mentioned appointments.

Please can I also add you need to say this on your appeal the reasons why. Called a Mandatory Reconsideration we have lots of information on our website.

I know this hard . Understand all of this been doing the assessments a long time over twenty plus years on going still.

Lost my car on one of them but have moved on.

Feel for you and the anxiety.

Please consider all the options and advice on our website. If I can help further be happy to listen. Be supportive.

Keep in touch.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Craig72
    Craig72 Community member Posts: 43 Connected
    Wow so sorry to here all that.. ?
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Poppet09

I am very very sorry to hear about your current situation/problems.

I am also one off the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Yes I would be more than happy in helping/supporting you.

@steve51

• Poppet09
    Any help would be appreciated An don’t feel getting anywhere at all there all numb on end o the phone 
  • MickConnon
    MickConnon Community member Posts: 56 Courageous
    Hi @Poppet09, we are listening and are here to help and can only mirror what others have already said. I am also here to support and advise. There are quite a few of us here to do that ?
  • Craig72
    I was lied to on a assessment  by this lady who I struggled to understand, she said can you get on the bed for me, obviously I couldn't  I told her she  said that fine.  then when my appeal came back it said I had no trouble getting onto the bed... ?#?#?? she said I showed good eye coordination and dressed well..????  well that's only a piece of my troubles I've been through. ? somebody told me other day told me on the assessments the the health professionals are not even the right people to assess you..... a physiotherapist to judge you on your mental health, not sure about that or a dentist to tell you about your osteoarthritis ? I'm now on universal credit and hate it, I and took a credit card out just to pay the rent all this because the health professional lied and gave me no points..... ?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    edited April 2019
    I had a physio do my assessment, mine was mainly based on my mental health BUT I was actually awarded enhanced for both and she acknowledged that me getting better would be a slow process, I've just had another assessment, no idea how that went, just waiting for a decision atm.
  • LB14
    @Craig72 I was also lied about in my assessment letter, the lady taking the interview said that I had full movement and range to my upper body.
    1.  I have osteoarthritis to the neck and cannot turn my head fully to either side even on a ‘good’ day.
    2.  I was only able to get my hands to beside my ears (elbows down) before I was in severe pain.
    When the lady first asked me to put my hands up in the air I scoffed, but it sounded more like a laugh my husband told me afterwards, so whether she took this as me thinking it was a joke I have no idea but at the end of the day she has lied.
    She also kept referring and repeating to ‘in a normal week’ how often ..., I kept telling her that I do not have normal weeks and felt pressured to answer as she wouldn’t take that I live from day to day not week to week.
    I was also told in the assessment letter that I didn’t look anxious, in low mood, no evidence of cognitive impairment, you take first line mental health medication (I’ve been on various meds for over 12yrs and they are great to start with but do tend to become ineffective after a time) and that I looked ‘well’ ?
    Those are just a few of the things that were listed on the assessment letter.
  • Craig72
    OMG that's not good  LB14 I don't think I've got a hope in hell after reading some of the people's stories.... I'm now waiting on a universal medical and a P. I. P assessment I've been battling D. W. P now for about 4years I can't take no more.....
  • thespiceman

Hello  @Craig72 Please can I ask how can I help with anything.?

You mentioned you can not take it any more.

Please can I ask how can we guide and advise you.

I know mentioned the system the whole certain aspects are not helping you.

I do understand.

Please if I can apologise this about me.  Being on benefits a long time.

I have had like every one been through a lot.  Had numerous knockbacks, especially from the benefit system and from certain organisations who should have been there.

Too numerous too mention. What I know filled with similar stories and I go way back to early eighties. Claiming benefits.  Shock to me and my self even then.

Then to work eventually after so long had issues and problems. Ended up ill and with addiction and mental health.

Beaten addiction now focusing on the positives.

I know there are bad times, good times with anything. Especially the conveyor belt system I had for a long time.  Been claiming since early nineties.

Where your declared fit at an assessment go to appeal , tribunal lose and then after two years . Around again. Then declared unfit and then again round we go again another two years as previously declared fit .

Endured that for a long time.  Went on various courses, gained knowledge.

Experience on worthless will not employ schemes.  Every two weeks used to say to me these company bosses if you stay another two weeks will employ you. Till the day got welfare support  and employment advisor bought in.

That all changed sacked me on the spot. Yet this was me. 

As I continued on.  Had days of emotion , heartbreak.  Struggle on. Found my faith again. 

Which does help me enormously. Do not have to be religious to believe . Go to church or pray. Know there are always some one who needs a helping hand.

Talking of faith many faith based organisations often have there own welfare support and advisors.. Often useful.

Mental health support and disability advisors.

Universal credit sorry to hear about that. I know it is distressing for you and difficult.

All I know we as a community need to share and care. Need to look at how we can help each other.

Please can I ask what would you like to happen?  What changes and adaptions to being on benefit what would you like to be.?

Do you need help with finances or do you need help with your conditions. Disability or mental health.?

I only ask because if you have some idea how to deal with the problems and issues you can try to move forward.

Many organisations ask you this. As I have found out sometimes to my own cost.

Mental health, disability both effected by my sense of saying no.

Reasons I had knockbacks realise that now.

Something I am trying to come to terms with. Now have to say to others.

Sit down make a some sort of plan and some small goals for yourself. Does not have to difficult something you can cope with.

I am only saying this because spent too many times. Thinking to go get the benefits I wish to live on and rely on. Only to find by Friday cut me off.

Had no Money or benefits at all for three weeks to a month sometimes.

Have to put things into place in case this happens. I am extreme difficult to work out and am cautious but no one can hurt and harm me.

Plan every day or every week.  Have to .  Home has to be like a business run like it. Strict controls on everything.  Do a lot on line.

Have a folder of organisations, association support if I need it.  Contact them . Write down what you need and require from each one.

Make a script when ringing.  Does help.

Look on line.  For your area. 

Be aware of what is available. 

I do not have the answers. I am not being clever or just being me. 

Care and have concern about people I see every day on this forum.  Wish I could do more I often say.

One time had a salary a job to rely on. Used to drive now lost that.

Through the Motability scheme for twenty years. Now changed a lot.

All I am saying it hurts like hell used to now just think.  Well had that now lets try and move forward . What can I achieve today.

Please I hope this does help. Because I have been there and still walk a mile in shoes.  For members of our community.

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Aura
    Aura Community member Posts: 43 Pioneering
    I don't think I've got a hope in hell after reading some of the people's stories....

Same here.

All women are equal.  Deeds, not words.
  • LB14
    @Aura please don’t let it put you off applying, I feel the same but there are so many people who are being turned down at the first, even 2nd hurdle but you’ve got to keep going and fight for it, it’s the only way.  Keep strong
  • Aura
    Aura Community member Posts: 43 Pioneering
    I will fight if I have too, otherwise i'll have to give a lot of things up which I'm not going to do
    All women are equal.  Deeds, not words.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    The worst thing you can do when applying for PIP is to read the stories on forums like this. Many claimants are successful first time and never need to come and tell their stories
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.