Mental capacity assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mental capacity assessment

Options
london23
london23 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi my brother is 56 and has lived in supported living for the past 21years has only recently been assessed for a Mental Capacity Assessment  , we still haven't been given any feedback regarding the outcomes .

The social worker has now put in progress his "best interests " meeting . What will this mean for him ?

Comments

• MickConnon
    MickConnon Community member Posts: 56 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @london23. Thanks for posting. Has anything changed with your brother recently? Any meetings about your brother you are legally entitled as his nominated next of kin. If you are not then the social worker is not doing their job. I have been involved in Mental Capacity meetings for as long as I can remember and when family are in close touch, they need to be invited so they can be involved in any decisions that need making. It could be for future care needs if anything has changed or any deterioration in conditions. You are entitled to see the outcomes of this assessment as his next of kin. Does your brother have an Independent Advocate? Mental Capacity assessments are done when a decision needs making and by rights you should be involved in this. Mind the Mental Health charity published a Mental Capacity Act 2005 and puts it in plain understandable language which would be worthwhile reading and taking notes from. Any other questions don’t hesitate to ask. Thanks

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.