Advice, possibly quitting work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice, possibly quitting work

Options
mumtothree
mumtothree Community member Posts: 3 Listener
hi I have a recently diagnosed 17 year old, he hardly leaves the house and just sits in his room, my query is I work 30 hours a week this appears to be increasing each week and I’m struggling with childcare for my younger child as my 17 year old looks after him. I’m thinking about giving up work completely to care for my autistic 17 year old as I feel he is needing me more and more each day, also to take the pressure off him, will I be entitled to do this and how would I get the ball rolling? I just don’t know what else to do, I’ve always worked but as a single mum it’s becoming more and more difficult to arrange childcare, my 17 year old says he doesn’t mind babysitting but I feel it’s becoming too much for him, any advice on this would be great. 
Thank you

Comments

• Threesticks
    Threesticks Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Hi and welcome , I'm no expert on this, but maybe this is a starting point for you. I'm sure there are far more qualified to answer your question than myself.

If you fight, you won't always win. But if you don't fight you will always always lose.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,051 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

It's not as simple as giving up work. Universal credit is the only benefit possible to claim now and a sanction could quite possibly be given if you quit work, even to look after your children.

Does your 17 year old claim PIP or DLA?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mumtothree
    Options
    He gets high rate pip for his autism and hyper mobility 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Is that daily living or mobility part? If it's the daily living part which will allow you to claim the carers element of universal credit, you can still be sanctioned for 6 months for giving up work and you'll most likely need to send some evidence to support your reasons for quitting your job.

If you do claim UC then any housing benefit and tax credits you claim will transfer to UC. Housing benefit will be paid for a further 2 weeks once you claim UC. It takes 5 weeks to receive your first UC payment.

I would visit your local CAB for a full benefits check and further advice before quitting your job.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • mumtothree
    Options
    Brilliant thank you I am on the hunt for something with less hours so I can be at home a bit more... thanks for the advice 
  • Threesticks
    Threesticks Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    edited April 2019
    Options
    @Username_removed Sound advice.
    If you fight, you won't always win. But if you don't fight you will always always lose.
  • poppy123456
    Options

I would visit your local CAB for a full benefits check and further advice before quitting your job.
    Which is exactly what i advised here.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @mumtothree, how are you getting on? Have you come to any decision? 

Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.