Reassessment changes for pension age — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reassessment changes for pension age

markyboy
markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
Following the announcement by Amber Rudd in March stating that people over state pension age on PIP will be reviewed every 10 years to come in to effect in the spring of this year it would be interesting to know if any members over 65 who were due for a review in the next month had been contacted by the DWP in relation to the changes.

Comments

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @markyboy

I fall into this group, and as you would expect, I have been keeping a close eye on matters.

To date there has been no formal guidance issued by the DWP or any kind of discussion with the third sector (as is normal).

I also remind myself, last spring Sarah Newton then Minister of Disabled, announced that she was to introduce a “light touch” review of PIP by late summer 2018.

Alas, nothing has happen and the said Newton, is now on the back benches.

Hope this helps.
  • markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    Hi i have now wrote to Amber Rudd for clarification if i do get a reply i will update the post
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    edited April 2019
    I do believe that the statement by Amber Rudd was nothing more than an intent. Such things come and go depending on who is in charge of the DWP - Sarah Newton is a good example.
    Until and when this intent becomes a part of the DWP guidance there is no legal way that the DWP can change how they work.
    I would ignore the statement until such time as it becomes part of the PIP Regulations which maybe this month or never. Government Ministers have a habit of saying things sometimes to keep the public on their side especially when an election is being discussed as is the case right now.
    With the sound of Markyboy's post he/she is half believing that it will happen!
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    The light touch review has been in place for sometime, not specifically for people over SRA but the case manager does have it to use if deemed appropriate
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • atlas46
    Hi @CockneyRebel

Could you direct me to the DWP guidance on light touch review.

Many thanks
  • CockneyRebel
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited April 2019
    This is only the latest information regarding pensioners.

The latest on the Light Touch process was listed and due by the summer 2018 regarding the regulations what the light touch process would involve.

Now the light touch criteria won't be published until nearer the time for the first ongoing awards in 2023 when the first ongoing awards for PIP where giving. Ongoing awards have been given from 2013, so we will have to wait as to what the light touch entails nearer 2023 and not 2018.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• atlas46
    Hi @Government_needs_reform

Thank’s for your post above, about changes of PIP reviews for pensioners.

So by late Spring 2019!

With it now being 27 April, 2019 the minister is cutting it fine.

Best wishes
    edited April 2019
    atlas46 said:

Thank’s for your post above, about changes of PIP reviews for pensioners.

So by late Spring 2019!

With it now being 27 April, 2019 the minister is cutting it fine.

Best wishes

@atlas46 I can advise I've heard of and seen some PIP pensioners that have been given this 10 year ongoing  award recently on various sites, it's a case of waiting as some pensioners are getting these awarded when they are due for renewal and may have not have to face another assessment and it was all done Paper Based only.

Also to take into account Pensioner will only get the ongoing award if their conditions won't improve and on both Enhanced rates of Daily live, its not necessary done on mobility allowance.

I hope this makes further Sense to you all now. We a have to remember the light touch had to be postpone by Sarah Newton and quit rightly is was due to be published by Summer 2018, as they are waiting on stakeholders to confirm what the light touch would actually would involve and was put back from summer 18 ready for nearer 2023.

I hope this helps people understand a littler better Now.

⬇️
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

edited April 2019
    markyboy said:
    Hi i have now wrote to Amber Rudd for clarification if i do get a reply i will update the post
    @markyboy I wish you well in getting a reply from Amber Rudd one thinks you've got more chance of a pink elephant flying past the window.

I do other campaigning and she has all evidence posted to her and have only ever manage getting answers on a few occasions and she still bent the truth, and tries so hard avoiding given relevant answers.

I hope you get and an answer from her but don't hold you breath as you might run out of oxygen. Lol I  wish you luck.?
    ⬇️

• atlas46

You have really made my day.

I am due for reassessment at the end of this year, I get enhanced for both components of PIP.

I was worried because I can have a flare up at any time, which can last months on end and the last thing I need is an HCP, asking how I have a shower!

The DWP is doing the right thing by implementing changes for pensioners, in a low profile way, as you have kindly indicated.

I will keep you informed how things go.

Best wishes
  • twonker
    The light touch review has been in place for sometime, not specifically for people over SRA but the case manager does have it to use if deemed appropriate
    I agree, since last August I believe. But that new guidance only related to those with the highest awards , enhanced/enhanced AND having a condition that clearly fits the fact that the impact is stable and can only deteriorate further in the future.
    M/s Rudd is suggesting that everyone over the State Retirement age will automatically get a 10 year award irrespective of what it is for whatever impact that is involved. Hence someone with standard care because they use 4 different aids and is over SRA who previously had a 2 year award will now get a 10 year award substituted with only a light touch at the 10 year point - no more in depth face to face assessments for the rest of their life. It will never happen. 
  • twonker
    edited April 2019

@atlas46 I can advise I've heard of and seen some PIP pensioners that have been given this 10 year ongoing  award recently on various sites, it's a case of waiting as some pensioners are getting these awarded when they are due for renewal and may have not have to face another assessment and it was all done Paper Based only.

Also to take into account Pensioner will only get the ongoing award if their conditions won't improve and on both Enhanced rates of Daily live, its not necessary done on mobility allowance.

I hope this makes further Sense to you all now. We a have to remember the light touch had to be postpone by Sarah Newton and quit rightly is was due to be published by Summer 2018, as they are waiting on stakeholders to confirm what the light touch would actually would involve and was put back from summer 18 ready for nearer 2023.

I hope this helps people understand a littler better Now.

Yes some pensioners are getting a 10 year award but it is being based on the 2018 amendment. There are strict guidelines in place of when and where a case manager can/would award it. And I also agree that these awards are being given after a review. 

However based on Justin Tomlinson's reply he states that ALL pensioners will get the 10 year award. That is the point that I am raising. That wholesale amendment of current awards of any type or length simply because the claimant is over SRA will not happen.

For many reasons it would be unfair and unjust. Nowhere in any of the PIP regulations does it say or allow for people over a certain age being given these lengthy awards with just a light touch every 10 years.PIP is all about descriptors & points - where does age fit in with that? By some chance if this actually happened 'by the back door' I will be seeking assistance to apply for a JR on the matter as if is preferring one age group - those under 65, to those over SRA - that is discrimination down to age.

@twonker Wrong? Not all pensioners? So what your saying is pensioners that get low awards will get a ongoing award, I really don't think so?

⬇️

• twonker
    @twonker Wrong? Not all pensioners? So what your saying is pensioners that get low awards will get a ongoing award, I really don't think so?

I agree with you. I cannot see all pensioners being given a 10 year award.
    Reading what Tomlinson said he was adamant that it would be all including those currently on short award periods and only getting standard care because of 4 aids.

I believe that the guy has lost the plot somewhere along the way. Still these are only intentional statements and from a legal point of view they mean absolutely zilch.

I cannot see any pensioner that is not on enhanced/enhanced that doesn't have a serious health problem that causes multiple levels of impact which will only get worse with time getting such an award.

What must be happening out there are probably 10's of thousands of pensioners who don't fit the above criteria being led down a path expecting to never have to go through a face to face assessment for the rest of their life. Not fair on them, they are purposely being deceived by the DWP.

edited April 2019
    @twonker the Minister and A Rudd have said many wrong things in the past.

If I was in charge and made that statement It would only be for pensioner only receiving the highest rates?

Because think of how many pensioners would be getting at the highest rates if they decide to put all pensions on ongoing 10 year awards even those with a low or stable condition(s) It would cost to much to administer and pay that amount of payments.

Im 60 and on an ongoing award which will take me to 70 but my conditions have been backed up with evidence etc that I will never improve.

Now take a pensioner that's been on low rate care and doesn't get any worse would you pay them more more and an ongoing award even if their condition is stable and only fit a low award, I think not.
    ⬇️

• twonker
    edited April 2019
    @twonker the Minister and A Rudd have said many wrong things in the past.

If I was in charge and made that statement It would only be for pensioner only receiving the highest rates?

Because think of how many pensioners would be getting at the highest rates if they decide to put all pensions on ongoing 10 year awards even those with a low or stable condition(s) It would cost to much to administer and pay that amount of payments.

Im 60 and on an ongoing award which will take me to 70 but my conditions have been backed up with evidence etc that I will never improve.

Now take a pensioner that's been on low rate care and doesn't get any worse would you pay them more more and an ongoing award even if their condition is stable and only fit a low award, I think not.

Yes, the 10 year award for pensioners should only be available if they have enhanced/enhanced, a stable health issue which will only deteriorate.

I know, if this goes ahead for all pensioners the costs will be horrendous where that extra money instead should be funnelled to education, the NHS and building homes at a price that the young people can afford to pay.

Age should never on it's own be a factor as to whether a 10 year award is made or not.
     It makes a mockery of why the 10 year award is given in the first place. 

Pensioners have never had it so good. Some get a mix of private pensions, State Pension and various DWP benefits. To want to offer them more money for a longer period for a standard PIP care award is criminal. The majority of pensioners don't actually need it.
    I'm 60 @twonker and I have ongoing which will never improve and is stated here quit clearly.

Both on Enhanced rate, that's my point I will never improve and the DWP etc no it.
    ⬇️

• CockneyRebel
    I may be wrong, my understanding is that what ever level of award you have when reaching SRA will remain the same other than the length of the review period. Thus a pensioner with standard/standard will continue to receive that unless they report a change in circumstance.
    If this is the case then it will save money. It will save on the cost of frequent reassessments and many claimants will not bother to report a change prefering to keep what they have and avoid the stress of the assessment process
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
    edited April 2019
    @CockneyRebel look at it this way why would they pay all pensioners ongoing awards?

If the DWP pay all pensioners ongoing awards despite what level of care it don't or won't add up. 

As we know low DL is for a set time and then a review, also if someone could improve on low DL why pay then an ongoing award. Do the maths it's not practical really.

Unless they the DWP have a heart and will just put every pensioner on an ongoing award despite of a low Daily living and could improve in say 2 years. Buddy it don't add up. 
    ⬇️

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.