Driving from a wheelchair? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Driving from a wheelchair?

MuntyScruntfundle
MuntyScruntfundle Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited May 2019 in Transport and travel
Hi folks.

I've been driving a van for years, the usual '6 way' 3 axis seat conversion, I transfer to the drivers seat and off we go.  As I have one arm with limited life I'm considering a 'drive from chair' conversion for the next van.  The way investments are going at the moment this is probably 3 years away, but there you go.  Bloody Trump!

My concern about this option has always been the weeble effect.  My core muscles aren't too bad, but I'm not sure they's hold up to quick changes of direction, roundabouts being an example.

What features or adaptations do people rely on to reduce this issue?  I'd like to give it a go, but don't want to throw out expensive work.

Many thanks.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @MuntyScruntfundle Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members.

I do know what to suggest. I know there are members of community. Who may advise.

You could look at websites adaptions.  Consider alternatives to getting about.  Just suggestions.

I know we join in hand of friendship across the pond.

Wish you well.

Please can I ask can you refrain from swearing on the forum. Please read our community guide.

We have members of all ages some are children something to consider.

Sorry to say that.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • MuntyScruntfundle
    MuntyScruntfundle Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Ooo sorry, it's not really considered swearing over here, but yes, I take it on board.

It's actually really difficult finding examples online, so I'm hoping for some input and maybe pictures from the members here, it would be very much appreciated.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    I think my friend @thespiceman was refering to the "T" word :)
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.