Letter about ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Letter about ESA

donnaMarsh
donnaMarsh Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi  i have received  a letter saying  are you getting  the right amount  of  employment and  support  allowance.  I have not been on era for 4 and a half years they stopped it and refused my appeal so I went to work. Now all this time later I recieved  this letter out of the blue. It says that  they are reviewing  my case to see if I am recieving  the right amount  if esa. I haven't  recieved  a penny for 4 and a half years . And it also says if I don't let them know I'm working  I could  face a financial  penalty. Not if I haven't  had a penny since starting  work which  I haven't.  I just don't understand  this  letter or why I have recieved  it??

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @donnaMarsh

Good Evening it’s great to meet you today ???

We have got some info & advice on here about ESA.

This does sound very strange, mind you they do go through things from time to time.

Here’s some info for you below on ESA.

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/employment-and-support-allowance

Please please let me know if you have anymore problems???

@steve51
  • donnaMarsh
    Thank  you  so much 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Did you transfer from Incapacity benefit to ESA many years ago? If so then this letter could be something to do with that. Was there an ESA3 form with the letter?

Those that moved across were automatically placed onto Contributions based ESA and weren't assessed for any income related top up and DWP made a huge mistake. They are now contacting everyone that moved across so they can be assessed to see if they are owed any back dated money. Not everyone that moved across will be owed money and being contacted doesn't mean you're one of those that were underpaid.

If it's this form you received then i'd advise you to fill out the form and return it and you'll be assessed. Don't build your hopes up because they may not owe you anything. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • donnaMarsh
    Hi poppy no I didn't transfer to esa and there isn't an esa3 form with it either but thank you
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Then the only ones that can answer your question is DWP. Give them a ring tomorrow.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • donnaMarsh
    I will do thanks
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @donnaMarsh I hope you were able to get in touch with the DWP. Do keep us updated.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.