Doctors fit notes, don’t stop getting them if disallowed benefit/going to appeal. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Doctors fit notes, don’t stop getting them if disallowed benefit/going to appeal.

Maxinus
Maxinus Community member Posts: 43 Connected
I recently came across this information which may be of use regarding fit notes. When my husband was denied esa they wrote to him to tell him not to get any more fit notes from his doctor, they also said they would be writing to his doctor to tell him there was no reason to issue any more.  Our doctor is excellent and we r now going to appeal backed up by sick notes, but some doctors won’t issue further notes because they think they have no need to.        If you are appealing, this fact sheet from Benefits And Work sets out the legal position https://allequal.xyz/esaGP1

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I've never known DWP to contact any GP to tell them that no further sick notes are needed. You need the sick notes once the Tribunal accept the appeal to be able to claim assessment rate of ESA and these must be backdated to the date your money stopped. If they're not back dated then DWP won't backdated the money they owe you.

This is providing the claimant hasn't started a claim for UC in the meantime. If they have then they won't be able to go back onto ESA.

Sick notes aren't classed as evidence so there's no need to send them to any Tribunal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Maxinus
    Maxinus Community member Posts: 43 Connected
    Hi Poppy, thank u for the response, exactly my point, you need the sick/fit notes to claim esa while the appeal is pending to claim the assessment rate, backdated.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.