Advice on switching from ESA to UC — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice on switching from ESA to UC

Bek85
Bek85 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
If I was awarded ESA until 2021 do Universal credit have to honour this? 
I moved over to UC a year ago from ESA. 
I have a new case manager who’s now asking I do a work capability assessment. I explained I was awarded my ESA until 2021 and since it was a straight swap from one benefit to the other I was under the impression they had to honour that previous claims award   . 
I’m very poorly at the moment and I think if I have to go through all that process again it’ll tip me over the edge. 
My case manager is calling me back once he’s spoke with my old case manager but given that it’s weekend it’s going to be a long worrying weekend

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,029 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Yes they do and you should have been placed into the relevant group for UC but you can be referred for a work capability assessment at anytime.

For work capability assessments timescales really don't apply because they are just a guide. You can be re-assessed anytime from 3 months.

If you do receive a work capability assessment you will need to return it with all your evidence no later than the date stated on the letter.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bek85
    Bek85 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    I don’t understand why they say my benefit is secure until 2021 then if it doesn’t really mean anything. 
    Ok thanks for getting back to me anyway. 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,029 Disability Gamechanger
    The decision was for ESA but you transferred to UC. DWP will honour that decision but you can be re-assessed at anytime. Even if you hadn't moved to UC you could still have been re-assessed anytime from 3 months. This is the reason why work capability assessment decision letters do not have length of time on them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    edited May 2019
    Bek85Bek85,

The UC regulations say you can be reassessed for any reason & at anytime unfortunately. The recommendation of no reassessment until 2021 is just that - a recommendation, it doesn't mean you can't be reassessed.

You should get the ESA decision recognised in UC though (for your claimant commitment, ie what you have to do in UC, and for any extra amount you should get in your UC). You don't have to wait for the reassessment for that.

You could get in touch with your MP and complain about this as apart from anything else we know that constant reassessment isn't necessary & just makes people anxious and horribly stressed. Also make it known to your work coach how stressed you are. They are supposed to try to support you if you're a vulnerable person.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.