NO ADDRESS — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

NO ADDRESS

charlie79
charlie79 Community member Posts: 258 Pioneering
I HAVE A FRIEND WHO IS HOMELESS (SOFA SURFING) WHO IS CLAIMING UNIVERSAL CREDIT.THEY WAS USING A FRIENDS ADRESS AS A C/O ADDRESS TO RECEIVE THERE MAIL. UNFORTUNATELY THERE FRIEND HAS NOTIFIED THEM TODAY AND ADVISED THEM TO FIND ANOTHER ADDRESS TO HAVE THERE MAIL SENT TO. WHAT ARE MY FRIENDS OPTIONS.....?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Family or another friend maybe?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Is there a reason why you cannot be a good samaritan ?
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @charlie79 Pleased to meet you .

Your friend could open a Post Office Box. .  You might have to speak to The Post Office to set one up.

Might be a charge.

Then all the mail will be sent to the Post Box.  The friend could then collect this.  Will have to have proof of ID . To collect.

Hope that helps.

As for your friend homeless situation has your friend contacted Shelter.

Spoken to CAB or housing officer local council.

Shelter line

0808 800 4444

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @charlie79, it's advised that your friend goes to the job centre and discusses this with them. They will allow him to use the job centre as his 'care of' address. They may then also refer them for housing support etc too. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

charlie79charlie79

I agree with Adrian. The DWP have lots of useful guidance about how they can help homeless claimants on UC. If your friend explains the circumstances to JC+, then they should be able to help. Receiving post may not be vital for UC in any case - it depends on whether your friend has made an online claim - but the Jobcentre can suggest what to do.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-and-homeless-people/applying-for-universal-credit-information-for-homeless-people

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• siobhan1
    siobhan1 Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
    DWP will put their address as C/O their local job centre and their permanent address as NFA (no fixed abode). They will get adult rate UC but not housing costs.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.