What a scam... — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What a scam...

Craig72
Craig72 Community member Posts: 43 Connected
edited May 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Me and my partner was put on universal credit because its took 3/4 years trying to sort out whare I should be.. ie e.s.a p.i.p my disability is probably low end, advanced osteoarthritis and spondylitis... we sent off the correct forms told them I've not worked for a long time due to my knees and back and depression... they apparently overpaid us and we have to pay back nearly £4000. this system sucks my partner suffers from chronic fatigue syndrome.. we now have a shortfall big time, I didn't ever want to be on benefits but I've been through a hell of a lot the last couple of years, I guess a few people on here seen a recent post I put up. we ask for a advance payment which you have to pay £80 a month back out of universal credit. rent is through the roof council tax water gas on top. this is definitely not working for us, probably be homeless in a couple of months maybe sooner, the assessments are a joke for E. S. A and can't wait till the P. I. P assessment comes and I don't pass that... ?

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @ Craig 72, if you have been claiming benefits knowingly that you where possibly or not entitled to claim the benefits and you didn’t inform the DWP of your change in circumstances that could or would effect your entitlement to benefits then you have been over payed by your own fault and negligence. The assessments for ESA and PIP are there to ensure those entitled to benefits are correctly assessed but not always hence the numerous MRs and Tribunals. Having to repay the large overpayment out of future benefits is not going to be easy and take a long time to fulfill.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 10,666 Scope online community team
    edited May 2019
    Hi @Craig72, I assume from your message that you're no longer eligible for ESA?
    Have you and your partner been assessed for LWCRA on Universal Credit? With regards to the over-payment and even the advance, you can contact the debt recovery department of UC and ask for the advance to be deferred for up to a maximum of 6 months (it used to be 3) and any repayments for over-payment to be lowered if it's putting you in financial hardship.

What stage is your PIP application at?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    May I suggest that you get trained help from CAB or similar. They will be able to look at all your paperwork, do a full benefits check and help you go forward
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Craig72
    Adrian_Scope hi my pip assessment is soon 16th of this month and I've also got a universal credit assessment. we can't live on what they have said we are going to get, my E. S. A has been up and down for the last 3 years. and they have already refuerd a payment for a couple of months. they overpaid us how's that our fault and we have to pay £4000 I probably won't pass the assessment because that's floored I am fed up with the whole process tbh 
  • Craig72
    CockneyRebel yes mate peabody helped me get on universal CREDIT, and dealing with my P. I. P but I'm not holding out for it, my time with the D. W. P has broken me... 
  • Craig72
    wilko?? I didn't say I've been claiming benefits and didn't inform the dwp??? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,043 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I would also advise you to get face to face advice from an advice centre near you. Claiming PIP and limited capability for work is not about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you.

It's wrong for anyone to comment about the overpayment because there's no further information to comment about and no one sure "assume" anything.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Craig72
    My E. S. A STOPED November 23 2018 I had too borrow £2000 to pay rent and other bills. then peabody said try P. I. P so they wouldn't put me back on E. S. A because its changed, so they put us on universal credit they had all our paperwork which was all done  exactly, to ingoings and outgoings....but that's not the point they gave us our credit which was just about OK, then changed it after 3 weeks I know the system and it sucks, there are people alot worse off than me I understand that but somebody can't do the maths.... 
  • Craig72
    poppy123456 thank you ?you would not belive what I've been through the last couple of years even my local mp was involved.... 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,043 Disability Gamechanger
    Seems like to me that you were incorrectly advised, which is why you should get face to face advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Craig72
    I've had face to face been down the correct routes.... I failed a esa assessment in 2015 I got 9 points then after 10 phone calls got put in a support group on E.S.A for about 12/13 months.... then failed a E. S. A assessment 0 points ?after getting 9 points 12months before? and my condition got worse.. then 3 mandatory reconsiderations 3 assessments and a paper tribunal and this P. I. P assessment coming up I would say I've been through it. the dwp lost my paperwork and just said sorry about that.  I was on the phone for a hour and 20 minutes to be cut off ??

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.