Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

can apply for carers allowance, while on universal credit?

joevansjoevans Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited May 2019 in Carer's allowance
  I started claiming  Universal Credits in Sept 2018, not by choice. When I then lost my Severe Disability Premium because of. Anyway what I would like to know is if I can apply for carers allowance? I have been told that I can and I should but obviously I am not sure on the matter? There fore I would be extremely appreciative if someone could me the correct information on if it is possible to claim carers if receiving universal credits? Thank You.

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 21,104 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You can't claim carers allowance for looking after yourself. If you're looking after someone else for at least 35 hours per week and they claim a qualifying benefit then yes you can claim it but it's deducted £1 for £1 from your UC amount.

If you are looking after someone then you can claim the carers element of UC BUT if you're claiming the LCWRA element in your UC then you won't be able to claim the carers element at the same time. Hope this helps.

Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,603 Scope community team
    Hello @joevans and a warm welcome to the community!

As Poppy mentioned, you aren't able to claim carers allowance or carers element for yourself.

If you're claiming it for another person that you care for, be aware that carers allowance is an overlapping benefit with Universal Credit so will be deducted from your UC award.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you any other questions. :)
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
Sign in or join us to comment.