If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?


Please email [email protected]

Mobility Scooter Question...

RoddyRoddy Posts: 369Member Pioneering
edited May 9 in Disabled people
I've been offered to purchase a Mobility Scooter from another disabled person. It is a Remco Maxi XLS and in very good condition for my own needs. 

It is my understanding that it will need to be registered if I intend to use it on any roads, however the current owner doesn't have any paperwork at all for the scooter and he says that he hasn't registered it whilst he owned it. 

I do not consider or have any reason to believe that the scooter has been stolen, but do I have to register it by law, and if so, how can do this without any documents to prove the ownership?

Replies

  • Antonia_ScopeAntonia_Scope Posts: 1,783Member Pioneering
    Hi @Roddy how are you doing today? There's some information here on registering a mobility scooter, hopefully some of our members can advise further.
  • wilkowilko Posts: 1,922Member Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, Is it a class three scooter which are allowed to travel on the road if the need arises. I use mine just to cross roads or short distances where no pavement is available.  As you will be making the first registration you can download a form and send it off to the DVLA. You will need details of the scooters model number and maximum weight these can be found and photographed using your smart phone and printed if you are not up to this maybe a kind neighbour or family member can do this for you. Also get the scooter insured just in case you are involved or cause an accident. The salvation army insurance  (Surewise) offer good cover 01268200020. DVLA number 0300 790 6802, 03001234321, 
  • RoddyRoddy Posts: 369Member Pioneering
    wilko said:
    Hello and welcome, Is it a class three scooter which are allowed to travel on the road if the need arises. I use mine just to cross roads or short distances where no pavement is available.  As you will be making the first registration you can download a form and send it off to the DVLA. You will need details of the scooters model number and maximum weight these can be found and photographed using your smart phone and printed if you are not up to this maybe a kind neighbour or family member can do this for you. Also get the scooter insured just in case you are involved or cause an accident. The salvation army insurance  (Surewise) offer good cover 01268200020. DVLA number 0300 790 6802, 03001234321, 
    Thanks @wilko 
    I 'think' that its a class 4 scooter as it has a speed of 8mph and all the necessary requirements such as indictors, breaking and hazard lights. However, as with like yourself I would only use to cross a road …  I've also looked at the DVLA Registration Form, but it doesn't have any sections for scooters without paperwork, nor any room for notes or explanations :-(

    This is the model that I intend to purchase, at a very good price of just £300  http://www.mobilitygiant.co.uk/shop/kymco-maxi-xls-
  • exdvrexdvr Posts: 277Member Pioneering
    Hi @Roddy.....as far as I'm aware there are only 3 classes, Class 1 is a manually operated wheelchair, Class 2 is for electric mobility scooters mainly for pavement use and limited to 4mph top speed but can be used on the road only if there is no footpath.  Anything with a top speed over 4mph is a Class 3 which must be registered with DVLA.  What you have is a good quality Class 3 Kymco Maxi xls. The info you need will be on a plate somewhere on the chassis, but I'm sure that a quick phone call to DVLA will sort you out.   As an aside you should be able to download the instruction book/user manual from the Kymco website.    Happy scootering, it sounds as though you've got yourself a bargain.

    Best wishes.

    DLTBGYD

  • RoddyRoddy Posts: 369Member Pioneering
    @exdvr 
    Many Thanks for the info. I'm very grateful. I'll see if I can locate the serial number and then perhaps call DVLA.
  • wilkowilko Posts: 1,922Member Disability Gamechanger
    The serial number maybe on the chassis if not on the seat post but you will need to remove the seat to view. Lovely scooter your buying I had a maxer. 
  • RoddyRoddy Posts: 369Member Pioneering
    wilko said:
    The serial number maybe on the chassis if not on the seat post but you will need to remove the seat to view. Lovely scooter your buying I had a maxer. 
    @wilko 
    It certainly seems OK and in excellent condition. It comes with a spare battery too. The mirrors are missing but I guess I can get those on eBay. It also needs a cover which again I've seen on ebay for next to nothing. It's a very heavy beast! So I hope that I haven't got to lift it up to find the number. I'm over the moon with it, as I haven't been able to go out at all on my own and so this will give me some freedom, particularly when the weather gets better... 
  • wilkowilko Posts: 1,922Member Disability Gamechanger
    When I had my Maxer I could cover 18 miles over three days on and off road nothing stopping me. But due to the narrow low profile tyres rough ground and ruts played on my shoulders so upgraded to a colt pride executive bigger wider tyres better ride and a bigger motor. Enjoy your new found freedom and source yourself some insurance.
  • RoddyRoddy Posts: 369Member Pioneering
    wilko said:
    When I had my Maxer I could cover 18 miles over three days on and off road nothing stopping me. But due to the narrow low profile tyres rough ground and ruts played on my shoulders so upgraded to a colt pride executive bigger wider tyres better ride and a bigger motor. Enjoy your new found freedom and source yourself some insurance.
    This will be my first scooter, though I did have a mobility vehicle before DLA took it back when I lost my appeal. Yes, its a good idea to get insured as to why I also need to register it. I just hope that I can, seeing as I don't have any documents with it. Some have said that as long as I don't drive on any roads then I don't need to register it, but???  I don't want to get chased by the police on my first time out! It has a top speed of 8mph and can travel 35miles on a full battery. I'm less than a mile away from the coast and so I'm looking forward to spending some time there too. 
Sign in or join us to comment.