More on personal pensions . . . . — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

More on personal pensions . . . .

Nader
Nader Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
edited May 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi all
Some advice would be appreciated:

If I have a personal pension which matures at age 60, but I have access to it at age 55 if I choose, how would this affect my Universal credit entitlement? I've been looking at the 'decision makers' pdf on the subject and, unless I've missed something on there, it isn't very clear to me. 
To try and make it a bit more clear, as an example, lets say at 55 I choose not to access it, and choose to wait until 60 to get maximum benefit from the fund, will DWP consider it as capital at age 55? Or will they, at age 55, take the amount in the fund and consider it as 'notional income', even though I'm not obliged to access it?

I hope what I've asked makes sense. If not please advise and I will try and clarify.

Thank you.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,438 Disability Gamechanger
    It won't be counted as anything until you reach state pension age, unless you decide to access it before then, you say it matures at 60, depending on the type of pension they may well allow you to keep it invested until then.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Nader
    Hi Woodbine Thanks very much for that. Great help! Nader
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    The trouble is as you will be able to draw on your pension fund then this will be counted as income. You may take the 25% tax free but this will alter your savings limits for claiming, receiving benefits. Can you defer taking your pension till state pension age a free pension check looks to be in order here to get yourself a good deal and still claim your benefits. 
  • Nader
    Thanks Wilko. 
    I was wondering about all that regarding 'notional income'! I had already decided to get some advice on this particular aspect of the pension situation. I have a pension adviser.
    Thanks so much for your input.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 10,666 Scope online community team
    Hi @Nader, please let us know how you get on with this and what they advise you. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Nader
    Hi Adrian
    Actually I'm not sure how much they will know relating to UC etc. I've been reading the UC decision maker's guidance on unearned income and also asking advice from another source, and I'm not too clear on it. 

My understanding thus far is that until I reach Pension Credit qualifying age, what I have in my personal pension pot will not be taken into account for UC purposes as long as I don't drawdown from it; either a lump sum or regular amounts. 
    Is this correct?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 10,666 Scope online community team
    Hi @Nader
    Sorry for the delay in replying to you, it's quite a minefield and the guidance isn't particularly clear. 
    However, you are correct that if you don't touch it, it is disregarded until state pension age. If you draw any before pension age it will be counted as capital not income. 
    I hope that helps!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Nader
    Hi Adrian
    No worries about the delay. I'm just grateful for your advice. 

That's a great help, thank you! It has cleared up my main concern about the whole thing.

Have a great weekend!:)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.