What would you like to learn about today? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What would you like to learn about today?

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
edited May 2019 in Coffee lounge

Today is the start of learning at work week (13th- 19th May) which aims to show the how it can be beneficial to be constantly learning and working on personal development. The theme this year is 'Shaping the Future' which is around how we can learn things which have a positive impact on the future.

We believe our Community Champions are a vital part of the community and the time they volunteer ensures more people are supported. Through personal development the Community Champions can gain skills that can be transferred to many aspects of their lives. Continuing to learn can be both enjoyable and beneficial— even if this is learning how to make a really good cup of tea!

However, learning can be part of so many aspects of life. For example, I currently am teaching myself Braille. This is a skill I may need in the future due to my own sight, yet it is something I also have enjoyed doing! 

What have you learnt about recently? How has this benefited you? Share your thoughts below!

Scope

Comments

• Deb_Alumni
    Deb_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 180 Pioneering
    edited May 2019
    @Chloe_Scope that is very impressive learning Braille.  Is it hard to do?

I put myself through evening classes to get my adult teaching certificate so I could train IT and it meant I could work for the NHS training all the Microsoft products.  I love self teaching and learning, and every day is an opportunity to learn.

Looking forward to seeing what others have learnt to do, will almost certainly be more exciting than mine ;) 
    Debbie
    Online Community Manager
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Since being part of Scope, I've not only learned skills to help me as a community champion but I've learned a lot about myself during my role. 

I love learning and I am always keen to try new things when it comes to writing and social media. I learn everyday and I thoroughly enjoy it :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    At the moment, I'm looking at learning BSL and am thinking about putting in for another creative writing course to hopefully give me the confidence not to scrap the next book I start writing. Meanwhile, my eldest daughter and I have been trying (and failing in my case) to learn the ukelele for about a year. It's been a great experience and I love how the instrument sounds, but sadly not when I'm the one playing it.
    I've also been learning Javascript for a fair while now, but I've been thinking about dabbling in another coding language if I can find a spare minute.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    When I was diagnosed as having Auditory Processing Disorder back in 2003, and asked to help the Medical Research Council win goverment funding for a 5 year "Auditory Processing Disorder" research program by creating UK support organisation which was then called APDUK. during this time I was given some research papers regarding my disability by the leading researcher Prof. David Moore. I had never previously read a research paper, it took my3 * 4 months to get through these papers decoding the technical terminology, and learning about the structure of research papers.
    Unfortunately due to my auditory processing disorder I still have problems actually prononucing most of the technical terms as i have never heard others say them on a regular day to day basis.
    However since then and I have been able to create many research paper compilation to help advocate for min and many other related invisible disabilities  
    You can see some of my research paper compilations listed on my Wikipedia User page, which I have not revised very much in recent years
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    What would you recommend for a dyscalculic employee who works as a childcare provider? I have been searching for online courses. Initially I tried learndirect but the costs are too much. I want a relatively low cost option if possible. I also was considering learning a new language or another useful skill.
    Thanks in advance!! 
  • Ami2301
    Have you looked at New Skills Academy? I've completed 4 courses with them and if they send you a weekly email notifying you which courses are on offer. All the ones I have done have been £19.99 or £25 :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    edited May 2019
    That's still interesting @Deb_Scope! What would you be interested in learning next? Braille is quite hard to get your head around but I've actually really enjoyed the process!
    Scope

• Chloe_Scope
    That sounds lovely @Ami2301! I hope we can give you more skills in the future :)
    What kind of things do you like to write?
    Scope

• Chloe_Scope
    Lots of options then @Adrian_Scope! All very interesting as well, what kind of books do you like to write?
    Scope

• Chloe_Scope
    @dolfrog It's great you supported research! Do you have plans to do anymore in the future?
    Scope

• Chloe_Scope
    @April2018mom, what kind of course were you wanting to do?
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    I write quite a mix of things @Chloe_Scope. My favourite kind of book to write is the one that sells, though!
    How long have you been teaching yourself Braille?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    That's always a good factor @Adrian_Scope! About 6 months learning Braille :)
    Scope

• Ami2301
    I am obsessed with writing lists, I am planning to write more 'How To' guides on my blog ?
  • Adrian_Scope
    My other half loves herself some lists as well @Ami2301. I'm not sure we ever complete one of those to-do lists, but they sure look good written down on paper in sparkly ink.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ami2301
    Haha! I am obsessed with to-do lists too, and stationery....and notebooks! 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Haha I am exactly the same @Ami2301! You can't beat a good to do list and a new notebook!
    Scope

• Ami2301
    Exactly! Especially the notebooks from The Works, most of my notebooks have motivational quotes on the cover, or funny covers. Purely for my amusement obviously ?
  • Adrian_Scope
    edited May 2019
    This all sounds very very familiar!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    @Chloe_Scope
    Umm I am not sure. I was looking at art classes today. Either that or a literacy or numeracy qualification. Do you have any recommendations or not? I’ve been looking for another job as well. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.