NEED ADVICE — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

NEED ADVICE

Options
sophoo
sophoo Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I've been on esa for the past 5 years and on 73.10 a week. Didn't have a work assessment until February this year they told me I was fit for work. So I done the mandatory appeal or whatever it's called waiting to hear back from them... Someone mentioned to me that I could possibly get backdated as I wasn't put in a group and should be getting more money that what I was on? Not sure about any of this can anyone advise me 

Comments

• Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Options
    If your mr comes back failed apply tribunal then you get esa backdated make sure you have sick notes 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,999 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

If either the MR or Tribunal change the decision and you're placed into one of the groups, then yes you'll be backdated the money you're owed. It's backdated to the 14th week of your claim. At the moment because you were found fit for work then they don't owe you any backdated money.

Most MR decisions remain the same and you'll most likely have to take it to Tribunal though, i'm afraid.

If you haven't claimed Universal credit since you were found fit for work, if the MR decision remains the same once the Tribunal accept your appeal you'll be able to go back onto assessment rate for ESA. If you've claimed UC then you won't ever be able to go back onto ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Maxinus
    Maxinus Community member Posts: 43 Connected
    Options
    Not sure if I am misunderstanding the question, but when your appeal is lodged, if you have continuous sick notes from the time your esa stopped, they should pay you esa benefit again from the time they told you that you were fit for work, I.e from Feb.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,999 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Maxinus said:
    Not sure if I am misunderstanding the question, but when your appeal is lodged, if you have continuous sick notes from the time your esa stopped, they should pay you esa benefit again from the time they told you that you were fit for work, I.e from Feb.
    This is correct providing a claim for universal credit hasn't been made. If it has then saphoo won't be able to go back onto ESA while waiting for the Tribunal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.