SPRINGTIME PASTA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

SPRINGTIME PASTA

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello every one this time of year. Starting to get warm and sunny. Every one wishes for light and healthy meals .

Simple and easy.

These are a mixture of cheats.  Tips and tricks .

Thought I would share one of my favourites.

Anyone wishes to have a try. Adapt to your own needs please do. Very happy to do so.

It is knowing what to do. With some of these ingredients.

We all see them in the stores. Freezer section.

I buy Frozen Peas, Broad Beans and Green Beans, Spinach.

Have those stashed in your freezer and a range of products to make sauces. Becomes simple to do.

Like this one last night.

CHICKEN OR TURKEY WITH PANCETTA, PEAS AND PENNE.

You will need the following.

Supermarkets packs of Chicken or Turkey Breast diced.  No knifes , no chopping.

One jar of Pasta Sauce buy the ones you can afford.  Expensive does not have to be. First cheat.  I buy the Italian brands on offer but buy supermarket own brand do this.

Add some Italian Seasonings.  Oregano, Parsley, Basil own supermarket dried herbs.

Even fresh Basil if you wish or Parsley does not have to be dried.

Buy a jar of Chillies diced or lazy as they call it. Add that. 

Other things you can add to a jar of Pasta sauce are Olives drained or Porcini dried.  In a tub.

Second cheat going to blitz this up any way.  Blender of Food processor. Add touch of water.  You could add stock cube .

Makes a jar of Pasta sauce go further. You never drown your Pasta just coat it.

From the chiller Cubed Lardons small cubes of Bacon. Pancetta .  Smoked ones. Great one for instant meals.

Peas or Broad Beans from the freezer going to defrost in the Pasta water along with the Pasta.

You need Penne Pasta use whole meal or grain  varieties  nothing wrong in supermarket own brands. 

You could use Fusilli as well or Rigatoni. 

I used Parmesan cheese but could you Pecorino or even Goats cheese or Mozzarella .

Cheese is used as a seasoning like Salt and Pepper so if the dish is evenly balanced out cuts through any acidity.

METHOD

Pan of water boiling use kettle or use a large Pan plenty of water . Careful here hot water. Use oven mittens or tea towel.  For kettle.  Easier grip.

Bring to a boil add a handful of Salt. Pasta a handful per person.

Time usually around ten minutes on packet I go for nine because finish in the sauce the Pasta. Add frozen vegetables a handful per person either Peas or Broad Beans another alternative.

Sauté Pan add in Lardons, (Pancetta)  no oil fat in Lardons helps.  Medium heat.  Colour remove to a plate.

Add Chicken Diced or Turkey colour. Season.  Medium heat your in control . Too high turn down.

Add back Lardons (Pancetta)  .

Add from blender a portion of sauce just a enough. To cover meat. You could use a bowl to pour out sauce.  From blender. Then ladle out to your requirements.

Drain Pasta from Pan using a slotted spoon or use Pasta Pan with strainer.

Bought one of these easier for me as with my hands.  Use Oven Mittens. Shake and strain into sauce.

Mix into Chicken or Turkey with Vegetables and Pancetta. Pasta should be coated.

Quick tip always put a ladle of Pasta Water in to your Sauce. Has Starch from the Pasta thickens the Sauce.

Simmer a few minutes add Cheese of your choice.

Turn of heat

Serve.

Buon Appettito.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Thanks for the recipe @thespiceman. I've gotten a bit bored with pasta, so this ought to liven things up a bit.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @Adrian_Scope Thank you for kind words.

Understand many people get bored eating the same thing. Need to liven and tickle those taste buds.

I always say try different things in any Pasta Sauce.

I have suggested a few.

You could add a splash of wine not for me. I am afraid.  My addiction history.  Also could add Crème Fraiche a small amount for a creamy sauce.

I know with children if have any. You can buy designer fun shapes of Pasta. I know these can be expensive but worth buying.

One final point have if you can . In store cupboards.  A range of anti pasti jars these are vegetables in oil.  Used for bread toppings or for pizza.

I use them for Pasta another use.  Many are oven roasted worth looking out for.

Usually Roasted Red Peppers , also mixed ones. Artichokes and mushrooms.

Great combined with a tomato sauce.  In a blender.

A blender or a food processor is useful here for making instant sauces. Adding for example Red Roasted Peppers to a jar of sauce. Makes a tangy sauce.

Something different. As is another one jars of Pesto just a spoonful. I use and add Carrots to some  of my sauces . Helps with sweetness. If have children additional way to sneak in veggies.

Additional veggies the mix of Onion, Carrots and Celery. Called Solfrito .  Dice fine. Use them as a sauce called Neapolitan.

Very simple as useful.

Add that to a stockpot with Olive oil butter.  Jar of Passata , tomato puree and a small amount of sugar or you could use Tomato Ketchup a tiny squirt.  Season with Salt and Pepper.

Simmer couple hours.

Herbs Parsley and Oregano.  Oregano is strong use a teaspoon. Parsley fresh bunch of that diced up.

Add at the end.  Always add fresh herbs if using at the end of any cooking. Then blitz up.

Blender. 

Simple no garlic in this one. Easy .

Remember you in control your recipe.

Wish you well.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.