mobility cars — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

mobility cars

bigfitz
bigfitz Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi,,i was just wondering, weather anybody has found themselves I a similar situation. I had a spinal op 2yrs ago, unfortunately I was left not been able to walk and now in a wheelchair, so my licence was revoked,so after 10 months waiting DVLA for a licence to drive a mobility car which has finally arrived, I went to the dealer paperwork in hand to be told im sorry but you need to have a full 12 months pips left to be able to get a car, I was 15 days short of 12mth. is there anyway around this or do just have to wait until  PLEASE HELP !!!!!

Comments

• exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering

Hi @bigfitz......Sod's Law I'm afraid.   You've found yourself in your current situation which if you'll excuse my brutality is partly of your own making.  If you've been claiming PIP for longer than the last 12 months you could already have had a Motability car with someone else on the insurance as a named driver.  Many people don't realise that you don't actually need to be a driver to qualify for a Motability car.  

Is there any possibility that your PIP award could be extended?

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi

I would bypass the dealer and speak to motability direct.

I have always found them very helpful.

Let us know how you get on.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    One of the rules for a mobility car is you must have at least 12 months left of your existing award. I'm not sure how motability will be able to get round this because that's the rules. Certainly no harm in ringing them to ask.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bigfitz
    Thank you  ill give that a try ,,,,
  • bigfitz
    exdvr said:

Hi @bigfitz......Sod's Law I'm afraid.   You've found yourself in your current situation which if you'll excuse my brutality is partly of your own making.  If you've been claiming PIP for longer than the last 12 months you could already have had a Motability car with someone else on the insurance as a named driver.  Many people don't realise that you don't actually need to be a driver to qualify for a Motability car.  

Is there any possibility that your PIP award could be extended?

hey there  I love and prefer brutal honest facts and if im honest I never gave that a thought, thank you ,,,,
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    edited May 2019
    Hi @bigfitz welcome to the community. How are you doing today? I am sorry to hear this, were you able to get in touch with them?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.