Advice re PiP reassessment & loss of benefit; DWP said I can walk 200 meters when I can't... — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice re PiP reassessment & loss of benefit; DWP said I can walk 200 meters when I can't...

lleett
lleett Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I was recently reassessed for PiP, and they took money off my benefit because they said I did not appear breathless or in pain when assessed. This is in relation to the 'moving around' section, which due to back pain and breathlessness for a long time now I have not been able to walk further than around 80 meters without getting really breathless and also being in pain and having to stop, and as such my previous assessor said I couldn't walk more than 50- 200 meters. I have diabetes and an immune system condition and a bunch of other stuff that together mean I am very nauseus and fatigued a lot of the time, and my back is in a bad way, and I get breathless very, very easily. I also get a lot of chest infections. All of this has been provided to them in terms of medical evidence. I also suffer anxiety, and again they have ample evidence of this. My assessment also took place at my home, and yet despite all of that, they have incredibly claimed I can walk over 200 meters because the assessor did not observe me getting breathless or being in pain walking the *few meters* from my sofa to the my door to let her in. 

I can't believe they are doing this. I only got the letter yesterday when it was too late to call anywhere. I am wondering if anyone here has suffered a similar issue and has any advice? I particularly want to know if they can really just claim I can walk over 200 meters like this, but also how I can prove that I can't do this?

Any advice really very much appreciated!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

What award did you previously have? You say you can walk 80 metres but that won't score you enough for a mobility award for moving around part. You also said that the previous assessor said you can walk between 50 - 200 metres but that would only score you 4 points.

Your next step is to request the mandatory reconsideration (MR). You have 1 month from the date of the decision to request this. You should put it in writing stating what you disagree with and where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

DWP and the Tribunal (if it gets that far and most do) won't appreciate you mentioning any lies that may have been told in the report. Any complaints about the report should be made to the health assessment providers.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lleett
    lleett Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks, I just realised that even though they took those points away, it is my daily living amount that has been cut. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    If this means you don't have a PIP award then this could affect any other benefits you claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tc55
    tc55 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Did they walk with you for 200 metres, if not how can they judge how far you can walk. You must appeal.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    lleett said:
    I was recently reassessed for PiP, and they took money off my benefit because they said I did not appear breathless or in pain when assessed. This is in relation to the 'moving around' section, which due to back pain and breathlessness for a long time now I have not been able to walk further than around 80 meters without getting really breathless and also being in pain and having to stop, and as such my previous assessor said I couldn't walk more than 50- 200 meters. I have diabetes and an immune system condition and a bunch of other stuff that together mean I am very nauseus and fatigued a lot of the time, and my back is in a bad way, and I get breathless very, very easily. I also get a lot of chest infections. All of this has been provided to them in terms of medical evidence. I also suffer anxiety, and again they have ample evidence of this. My assessment also took place at my home, and yet despite all of that, they have incredibly claimed I can walk over 200 meters because the assessor did not observe me getting breathless or being in pain walking the *few meters* from my sofa to the my door to let her in. 

I can't believe they are doing this. I only got the letter yesterday when it was too late to call anywhere. I am wondering if anyone here has suffered a similar issue and has any advice? I particularly want to know if they can really just claim I can walk over 200 meters like this, but also how I can prove that I can't do this?

They can state what they want as there is no evidence to support that you can't walk 200 metres.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.