WCA & PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

WCA & PIP

KEE
KEE Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
edited May 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi this is my first post so forgive me if I have posted in the wrong place, I am confused with the benefits process and require some help please.

I had to give up work Nov 2018 and currently claim UC and submitted ‘fit note’ since then until presently. I had no WCA but 0 commitments to search for work, only to update via my journal any doctors appointments etc and my work coach just booked appointments to see him each time my fit note ran out in order to resubmit a new one. (Usually every two months).

In March 2019 under the advice from a welfare rights officer I found out I could apply for PIP. I made a claim and had a home visit assessment on 9th May 2019. I am awaiting decision, I received a txt message on 16th May 2019 stating the report is with DWP. 
Since then I have received a note in my journal stating a WCA questionnaire is being sent out to me and I may have to attend an assessment for this too. 

I do not know how I can face another assessment and another form with similar questions on it yet again. It’s knocked the stuffing out of me and I suffer with severe depression & aniexty, Fibromyalgia and 2 slipped discs with hairline fracture in my back.

I have just today had more medical tests which has had an abnormal reading and I now have to be investigated as to my breathlessness. I suffer mentally, physically and often get confused so I get UC paid fortnightly due to struggling with finances.

I find it confusing that after stopping work and after 7 months of claiming UC and submitting Fit Notes I have never been offered a WCA. Nor did I realise I could be claiming an additional payment. It’s Only today  I find out, when I am mentally drained from just going through a PIP application and f2f assessment in my home. 
If the PIP decision is going to grant me this benefit then wouldn’t this be enough for DWP to make a decision for WCA ? I can not cope with this. 
Thank you for any help and advice.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, you will have to fill in the new wca form and return it as you have had a PIP assessment they may use this information or the evidence you submit with the wca form to do a paper based assessment. What ever happens the wca form must be filled in and returned so maybe a trustworthy friend can help or assist you if no family member is there to help. 
  • KEE
    Thank you.
    Just thought it strange I hadn’t had a WCA in all the 7 months I been ill 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,043 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I disagree with wilko here, sorry. PIP and the WCA are different benefits and they most likely won't use your PIP evidence or the assessment report for the WCA. When you return the WCA form you should make sure you send evidence with it to support your claim because they very rarely contact anyone for any evidence, the onus is on you to make sure it's sent.

The WCA form is slightly different to the PIP form. They both have different criteria. WCA is for those who have a limited capability for work but people claim PIP and work.

You need to make sure the form is returned no later than the date stated on the letter, otherwise you could be found fit for work for failing to return it. Most people have face to face assessment and even though you've only recently had a PIP assessment you should expect to be sent for another assessment i'm afraid.

Once the decision is made if you're given limited capability for work related activity (LCWRA) then you'll receive the extra £336 per month back dated to the 4th month of your claim.

If the decision is limited capability for work (LCW) then your money will stay the same.

Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • KEE
    Thank you. 
    What a palaver!! My head is spinning with all of this and my heart racing, just want to curl up in a ball and hide myself away forever! I am mentally and physically exhausted!
    Thank you for the good luck wishes and help.

• poppy123456
    You're welcome. Yes it really is a worry. Just fill out the form with as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you and that's really all you can do. There's no timescales to waiting times for the WCA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • KEE
    No timescales means my mental health suffers more. 

Once again I appreciate your help thankyou so much 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.

Yes, i know how you feel. Even those who don't suffer with mental health experience the same thing while waiting for assessments/decisions.

For your PIP if you live in the UK have you requested a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you? This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.
  • KEE
    Good morning,

Yes I agree the whole process is extremely stressful for everyone.
    I haven’t requested a copy of the report as I thought DWP send this along with the decision. 

I May ask for a copy then. Thank you.

• poppy123456
    You're welcome. No, they don't send it at all unless you request it.
  • char38
    char38 Community member Posts: 43 Connected
    I had to fill in a form for UC but i thought u didnt get the extra money any more. Is that true?
  • poppy123456
    char38 said:
    I had to fill in a form for UC but i thought u didnt get the extra money any more. Is that true?
    What extra money are you talking about please?
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    edited May 2019
    Hi Kee,

I have done the reverse - I had a WCA 5 weeks ago after waiting 2 months from a failed appointment - I was deemed as not having limited capability - Yesterday I had my home PIP assessment. I am calling in a few days to get my report (as advised by the Physio who came) I had a good feeling as the lady was really nice and understanding - but the DWP people who have no medical experience just read the report and decide - so I am hoping that they will see it as I will - if not I will appeal. The lady who came was very open about it all - even to the point where we did a few of the MSK exercises - she put her laptop down facing us and my carer read what was on the screen and it does seem to be positive. Which way is yet to be known.

But yes I was told it would take about 2 days to get the report to them and I was encouraged to call and ask for a copy a few days later. You should get a good idea of the decision based on what it says.

I agree the whole process is stressful and un necessary - Like you I had to stop working last year due to illness (September for me) and the WCA was triggered by fit notes being sent in - I don't know why I bothered, I was fired from my job for being ill despite doctors letters and fit notes. 

Anyway now starting the long wait for the decision. I hope it is the 4-6 weeks they state. I had a letter from Capita saying they were sending all they had to the DWP and then 3 weeks later I had a letter asking me to go to an appointment - but I called to ask for a better time as it was peak time bus travel which would put me in a crisis - so I was offered a home visit instead

You aren't alone so do share your journey please :)
  • pcoventry
    edited May 2019
    Hi,

I disagree with wilko here, sorry. PIP and the WCA are different benefits and they most likely won't use your PIP evidence or the assessment report for the WCA. 

No they won't you are correct. I have sat in front of the same Neurologist twice  3 weeks apart at the same Capita office once for each assessment in the past. Literally 2 reports - even the doctor agreed it was a waste of time and money!  

• pcoventry
    char38 said:
    You can get PIP in additional to UC and it does not affect your claim - The health bit I think is if they put you into a work group and then you get extra - I have been told I am fit for work by UC but PIP should be different at which case I expect UC to re consider.
  • KEE
    Hi Pcoventry,

I am currently awaiting the WCA questionnaire to be sent to me as advised it has been sent in the post. 
    For my PIP claim in March 2019 had my face 2 face assessment within my home on 9th May 2019 and a txt message was sent on 16th May stating the DWP now have received the assessment report.
    Following the advise of poppy123456 here at scope, I have today called PIP to request a copy of the report and they said they will send one out and thy also told me a decision for PIP has now been made and the decision letter sent out 2nd class post yesterday. 
    So I should receive my letter any day from tomorrow onwards. 
    Hope yours is as quick and I will update whatever my decision is as soon as I receive it.
    Thank you and Best of luck to you 
  • poppy123456
    @KEE did you ask what the decision is? They will tell you over the phone.
  • KEE
    No I didn’t ask I thought they wasn’t allowed to tell me, I will call back now then Thank you
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 10,666 Scope online community team
    char38 said:
    Hi @char38. You no longer get any additional money if you’re found to have LCW but do if you are placed into the LCWRA group.

I hope that helps. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hello @KEE, welcome to the community! Poppy's given you some great advice about the WCA. Let us know how you get on when you call PIP back! :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @pcoventry, thanks for sharing with us. Have you appealed your UC WCA decision?
    As you said to KEE, you're not alone on your journey, so please make sure to keep in touch!
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.