Shoes that fit orthotics ? Help!! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Shoes that fit orthotics ? Help!!

Options
kiera1985
kiera1985 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
My son got his Foot Orthotics today, I haven’t a clue how he will ever be able to wear shoes?! There so big and bulky? What do you buy for your children? He is only 2.5 years old so small feet x

Comments

• Kate_Scope
    Kate_Scope Scope Posts: 74 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, I get trainers for my daughter and take the insole out of the shoe- this makes the trainer deeper and then the splint can fit in. 

School shoes are ok as they are practical as in they are usually round toe shape and you can still take the insoles out to get the deepness required to accommodate the splint. 

Kate 

• Kate_Scope
    Kate_Scope Scope Posts: 74 Pioneering
    Options
    I have also used this website and there are others out there if you google 
    http://www.easyup-shoes.com/

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @kiera1985 and a warm welcome to the community! What kind of foot orthotic is it? I wear AFO splints and have done on and off for my whole life- shoes really can be a nightmare! However, from my experience I would also recommend @Kate_Scope's suggestion. Also, if you can get a shoe in a wide fitting that is always good. I tend to buy shoes 1 or 2 sizes bigger and if they have laces it means the shoe can open up even more. I hope you manage to find something suitable, especially in this warmer weather! I found that converse type shoes fit my splints in pretty well, but aren't as supportive as my winter boots. Hope this helps!
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My child is 2.5 now. This website was recommended by another special needs mom- https://www.orthoticshop.com/ 

I now purchase shoes for him on this website. We do see a orthopedic doctor too. He was not able to tell me much about alternative ways of buying shoes so I turned to the Internet for help. I totally recommend this website. 
  • lucybest
    lucybest Community member Posts: 11 Courageous
    Options
    You should be able to find something here:

www.widerfitshoes.co.uk
    www.piedro-uk.co.uk
    www.denovohealthcare.com
    Billy shoes from www.sensorysmart.co.uk
    www.friendlyshoes.co.uk
    www.tdotherapy.co.uk
    www.shoemed.co.uk
    www.cosyfeet.com
    www.tomcatuk.org/twisters
    www.specialkids.company
    adaptive range from M&S https://www.marksandspencer.com/kids-freshfeet-high-top-trainers

Lucy Best, orthotist, Hampshire Orthotics

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.