Cancer | Psychosis | Paralysis — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cancer | Psychosis | Paralysis

Options
charlotte_crowl
charlotte_crowl Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi my names Charlotte I'm new here, thought I would share a short version of my journey so far.

It all started summer of 2007 when I was 17 and I found a lump under my arm, the doctors just told me it was my arm spray. It wasn't until November 2007 when I got nodules in my neck that I was taken more seriously and they sent me for a biopsy in early December. Everything seemed to blur into one after that and I found out I had Lymphoblastic Lymphoma, I was almost immediately admitted to the teenage cancer wards bloodtests and scans later I was told it was stage 3.

Things were going pretty smooth until I developed psychosis from the high steroid dose, it was crazy like I was locked in my body and someone else was in control (I called her cherona). Several emotional outbursts later and a few attempts at trying to harm myself, they final lowered my dose. I was a lot more stable mentally and I thought it would be plain sailing from then but it was far from that. Two weeks before my 18th birthday I had a strong dose of chemotherapy and my brain couldn't handle it, I got an extremely rare side effect where my whole body shut down within 3-4 hours I couldn't walk, talk or swallow and the doctors didn't think there was any coming back.

I carried on with chemo and intensive physio after a year I was able to walk but not unaided, unfortunately I got a viral infection that cause my mobility to relapse and my balance to go. I kept on with the treatment but it was having detrimental effects on my physical body. After 2 years of chemo I stopped and chose a holistic path. I have now been cancer free for 9 years although I still have a disability and many long term side effects I am walking, talking and grateful and I hope this can motivate and inspire others to not give up when times are hard

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.