how to access a driver for our vehicle so we can get out as a family — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

how to access a driver for our vehicle so we can get out as a family

wiggy
wiggy Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I am a full time carer for my disabled 36 year old daughter and also my husband who had a sever stroke almost 2 years ago both are wheelchair bound and rely for m me totally I am just about at the end of my tether and feel so isolated in this situation and would really appreciate if someone could possibly be of help in pointing me in the correct direction of how to access a driver for our vehicle so we can get out as a family 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @wiggy Pleased to meet you welcome. 

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions.  We guide, advise and help new members who join the community.

Sorry to hear what you are going through.

There seems to be a lot of charities do volunteering drivers such as Red Cross or Saga.  These are for appointments and hospitals.

Also volunteer driver schemes only in specific areas.  Unfortunately these are for appointments and hospitals again.

Also treatment for anything like Cancer.

If you do employ some one yourself.  They would have to do a DBS Check and then there is the insurance issues.

They would need to disclose driving history again same as DBS.

DBS Check would be advisable as you do not know . Who you are using a volunteer for his or her background . Working with vulnerable or disabled people often recommended.

This would be a contract between you and the volunteer you wish to have.

Something to consider.

I know it is a difficult situation your are in.  I do understand.

You mentioned you are isolated and alone. Sorry to hear that.

I hope we can be supportive.

I am unsure what else to suggest. Have you spoken to your County Council might and sometimes do have transport alternatives for those who are disabled.

Have you considered taxis another suggestion. Many taxi firms have adapted vehicles.

Something to look at.

Please if I can help with anything further. Please get in touch.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • wiggy
    Thankyou for your reply,

well that’s what I have discovered you can get volunteers for hospital appointments and then it only appears to be in their vehicle assistance for our situation seems nonexistent, we have a brand new car and adapted for both wheelchairs and it’s very frustrating and lonely world, I don’t drive myself my husband was the driver before his stroke but unfortunately he has lost that ability now,  I fear for my mental health being in this situation I really am struggling but there is no way out! Well there is and I am seriously considering that one. Thanks again
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @wiggly welcome to the community! 

Sorry to hear about your current situation. If you are feeling low, have you considered speaking to the Samaritans? You can call them on 116 123 (free) or email jo@samaritans.org if you don't feel comfortable talking on the phone.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • wiggy
    It’s a very hard situation it has been hard enough before looking after our daughter but unbelievably hard with them both depending solely on me and the stroke has affected my husband so badly he can’t even speak to me we can no longer have a conversation let alone share the care for our daughter and nobody understands the demands not only physically but mentally caring for a disabled person is unless your actually doing it so I feel they wouldn’t have a clue.

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @wiggy Thank you for reply.  Sorry to hear you having some problems.  With your mental health.

Please can I suggest if you need to talk use the information given to you.

I know this may be difficult for you to deal with.

We as a community are supportive and do understand.

Have you contacted The Stroke Association.?

Might be able to advise and offer guidance with your husband.

https://www.stroke.org.uk.

Helpline 0303 3033 100

Please can I also suggest the Carers UK 0808 808 7777

Hopefully they can advise more with your situation.

I am sorry what you are going through. I can understand not being able to drive yourself.

Having lost my life line my car last year.  Find and do a lot on line.

Have you contacted your County Council to see how they can advise you more with your situation. Just another suggestion.

Please can I add have you spoken to your Doctor. Surgery to see what other signposting help they can give you. No one likes to hear any one. A valued member of our community having problems or issues . If I can help I am can only offer what I know.

I can imagine the stress and not being able to cope.

In my own life had disabled friends who were reliant on me. Had no support from local councils.  Also left to their own devices by certain charities who should have been there.

Had a difficult, stressful not easy to deal with situations.

Please if I ask have you spoken to our helpline for further advice .

Helpline 0808 800 3333 .

All I know it is finding the right support, advice and guidance what you could do with.

No one wishes to see you hurt or harm yourself.

I do not have all the answers you are reaching out for help. This is what as a community we are here for.

Ready to listen anytime.

Please keep in touch

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Deb_Alumni
    Deb_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 180 Pioneering
    Hi @Wiggy
    We have emailed you to offer additional support.  I see that @Spiceman and @Ami2301
     have already offered some advice and links to support you. 

Our community is available for you to seek support and advice and of course there are specific support links that may be able to help you manage your personal situation.

Please keep talking to us, even if we don't have the answers we do care and wish you to take care of yourself.
    Best wishes
    Debbie
    Debbie
    Online Community Manager

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.