Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Getting carers allowance and universal credit

geordie12geordie12 Member Posts: 7 Listener
I'm due to have to swap to universal credit on the 3rd of June I have made an application for carers allowance at the begining of may  asI look after my stepfather I receive child tax credits income support will I have to still migrate over to universal credit on the 3rd of June I have to swap over because my youngest child is 5  when I was at a back to work interview they told me to claim carers because I look after my step father 40 plus hours a week does anyone know what I will need to do 

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 21,104 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

No, you won't have to claim UC because you have claimed carers allowance and this will allow you to stay on Income Support. You just need to tell Income Support that you've applied for carers.

Just so that you're aware. If you step father was claiming severe disability premium because he lives alone or is classed as living alone then he will lose this now you've claimed the carers.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.