Hi, my name is mel_4ears! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is mel_4ears!

Options
mel_4ears
mel_4ears Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
Hi, I'm Mel. I'm in my late twenties and I'm hard of hearing. I wear hearing aids in both ears. I have a cat, Kissy, who is my pride and joy. I love writing, books and gaming. 
Fibromyalgia, hearing aids, depression, anxiety, OCD 

Comments

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @mel_4ears welcome to the community. I’m Emma one of the Community Champions. Happy to help if you need any assistance navigating the community or have any questions at all.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @mel_4ears how are you doing today? Welcome to the community and thank you for sharing this with us :) 
    Please feel free to join in our visual and hearing impairments  discussions group and our coffee lounge - where talk about art, books, movies etc.

We look forward to seeing you on the community. :)  If you have any questions, please let us know.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Brilliant to have you with us @mel_4ears, welcome to the community! What are you reading at the moment and what sort of things do you like to write?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @mel_4ears

Welcome it’s great to meet you this afternoon.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you with?????

@steve51

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @mel_4ears welcome to the community! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • mel_4ears
    Options
    Hi everyone! It seems like a lovely place here!

I'm doing ok today, thank you. Managed to get out for a few hours, but my body is rioting now! I also have fibromyalgia (and am still staggered by how hard it makes even the tiny tasks) and mental health issues.

I am a massive SSF and dystopia fan, so I mainly read and write that. I'm currently reading Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers. It's good. For writing, I am working on a sort of Ghostbusters type thing.

• Adrian_Scope
    Options
    A Ghostbusters type thing sounds fantastic @mel_4ears. Let me know how it goes!

I've not heard of Record of a Spaceborn Few before. Would you recommend it? I've read quite a bit of Kevin J Anderson and Peter F Hamilton, but the latter can be a bit dry and heavy for my tastes. I'm currently reading Senlin Ascends, which is a bit of a break from what I normally read.

If you need some advice, or have any particular questions about support for your conditions, don't hesitate to let us know!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • mel_4ears
    Options
    @Adrian_Scope Are those hard sci-fi? I find those mostly too dry too. Peter F Hamilton's children's fantasy series looks really good though. Record of a Spaceborn few is the last in a trilogy. The worldbulding and eco statement aspects are amazing, as are the characters, diversity and writing. It just... lacks a plot, as such. But the first two books were really good. They're more about characters than plot though, except the second one. The second one is a bit faster. The first was well worth finishing though. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Options
    I think Kevin J Anderson's been heavily-influenced by Star Wars (which explains why he's written quite a few Star Wars books himself!) and leans more towards light space opera, but Peter F Hamilton is very hard sci-fi and while his speculative concepts and worldbuilding are incredible, I find myself switching off a bit! :blush:

I'll have to check out his fantasy series and maybe give the Record of a Spaceborn few a try. Always on the lookout for new books.

How are you finding your way around the community?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • mel_4ears
    Options
    I love the aesthetic of the site and the people are lovely! I wish there was more forums for us to chat about things not related to disability though. It can get a bit depressing, I find, and I need distractions from the struggles.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Options
    Thanks for this @mel_4ears! :) We’re always looking at ways to improve the community and this sort of feedback is invaluable.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.