Ill health retirement — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ill health retirement

littlebutton1001
littlebutton1001 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
hello, I’m in the process of being dismissed from work due to long term sickness and the occupational health doctor wants me to apply for ill health retirement with my pension provider. Has anyone any experience in this or personal stories to help me? Was it hard to get and what evidence did you need? How long roughly did it take? Any words of wisdom appreciated! Thank you!

Comments

• zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    i got mine around 14 to 15 years ago now, was quite easy to get with just a doctors letter that i wouldn't work again with my condition etc, the amount wasn't worth the effort for me mind you as i got taxed on it, and it did effect my ESA, stopped me getting free health care, as before i was on ESA i was on incapacity and that had the income support meaning i got free meds and health care, on ESA i didn't and lost it all, not that it matters now, as atm failed and got kicked off after a 0 score assessment after 20 years of being long term ill, so in MR atm and then back to Tribunal as done it once also in the past 8 years ago, so good luck with the pension, but do get advice before to see if it will or could effect the amount of benefits you may be also trying to apply for and live on
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @littlebutton1001 and welcome

You might need the services of a regulated financial advisor depending on what your pension is worth. First thing is to get a statement and valuation from your pension provider.
    You maybe able to take a part lump sum tax free but you will need to know what ESA you claim is ie. CB or IR

When I took early retirement I had 2 small pensions, one of which I cashed out completely the other I took part  lump sum with a small monthly income.
    There are a few options so you really need to get trained advice from an agency near you
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • littlebutton1001
    littlebutton1001 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Thank you both. I really appreciate it. I’m on IR ESA at the moment and think the pension would affect it but I wasn’t sure I would even get the ill health so haven’t looked into the benefits side but it’s something I need to do! 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.