BBC 1 9pm tonight Panarama - Crisis in social care part 1 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

BBC 1 9pm tonight Panarama - Crisis in social care part 1

Jean Eveleigh
Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 183 Pioneering
This programme will be available on Iplayer shortly after broadcast

Crisis in Care - Part 1: Who Cares?

Panorama reveals the failings of our social care system, as our population gets older and more of us need help with day to day living. In the first of a two part series, the BBC's social affairs correspondent Alison Holt has filmed in Somerset for a year, focusing on four families, all exhausted by the demands of caring 24 hours a day for their loved ones, and desperately trying to get more help. She also follows the fortunes of the county council who, like local authorities everywhere, are fighting to balance their books after years of budget cuts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0005jpf

Comments

• zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    i'd like to say it will change stuff, but tbh i'm old enough and hopefully wise enough to know and understand it won't make a single difference what so ever. aged 52 this year and 20 years now on the illness known as being on the DWP hit lists has taught me one thing, no one ever asks the people who are in the correct position to reply (us), we aren't on the panels to comment when a 100 separate so called health professionals go into place to check and report on any shortfalls or findings. and in the end we are only numbers, not people, so don't count and never will, end of
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Thanks for sharing @Jean Eveleigh. I managed to miss this — how was it?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 183 Pioneering
    Hi @Adrian_Scope although it didn't really tell anything I/we didn't already know it was interesting (to me at least)mto see how hard the social workers and other council officials were trying to protect the social services budgets and offer as much as they possibly could both in terms of financial help, sourcing equipment and help in putting applications to the NHS and  how little understanding most people have as to how much things cost.

Hopefully this will start a wider public debate about how social care is funded in the future and how we properly value the familial caregivers (not professional carers) BUT my fear is we will end up with a tiered service going forward where those who can afford to pay get the best of everything, those who can afford to contribute/to0 up get a slightly lesser service and those of us who are completely reliant on state help are given the dregs that are left and expected to be grateful we get anything at all - rather than us all being treated as equal in need and service.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Thanks @Jean Eveleigh. Sounds like an interesting perspective, I'll have to give it a watch when I get a chance. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.