#MyInvisibleMS — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

#MyInvisibleMS

Options
Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a condition that affects your brain and your spinal cord. The coating that protects your nerves is damaged and results in a range of symptoms such as blurred vision, or problems with how you might move, think and even feel. More than 100,000 people in the UK have MS, but while you’re likely to discover you have it in your thirties, forties and fifties, the symptoms will often present years before a diagnosis.

MS is a condition fraught with misconceptions and this year’s #MyInvisibleMS campaign is all about raising awareness of the invisible symptoms of MS, as well as the unseen impact of MS on people’s quality of life.

Today on World MS Day, we’re asking those of you living with MS to tell us: what do you wish others would know and understand about your condition?

Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello, you so well, what’s wrong with you? This question remark is asked daily around the country to people suffering in silence showing outwardly signs of health and wellness. My story, having spinal decompression surgery and working on a return to work (farming) my mobility slowed up and after having three MRI scans I was diagnosed with MS. I use a mobility scooter to walk the dog have balance problems but I manage to stay involved in society unable to carry cups plates of food at social functions but I am accepted as who I am and not what I have. I don’t expect sympathy or want it. We with MS accept and embrace our disability it is ours we manage, cope with this disability knowing it will get worst over time and new drugs will become available in the future to stop prevent the advancement  of this cruel illness. 
  • swilber
    swilber Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
    Options
    I've had MS officially sine 2007 and I have managed 'it' to the best of my ability, taking assistance when offered.  No one of my family or friends understand all my symptons but I carry on regardless.  I have been in a wheelchair since 2015 and carless since then too.  I have spent much time persuading friends to give me lifts to dentist appointmentsand the like. Taxis and expensive if you are staying in your wheelchair as transfering is becoming less safe.  I am scared I am going to be house-bound, I need to be among people I am only 57 don't leave me here on my own.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.