Epilepsy — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Epilepsy

marymo
marymo Community member Posts: 2 Listener
can anyone tell me are epileptics only entitled to motablity....... I’ve recently been awarded enhanced rate, was awarded seven points for personnel care. I have some friends who are also epileptic and they were also turned down for personal care. Any replies will be appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @marymo and welcome

PIP is awarded based on how your condition affects  your functional ability to complete the daily tasks and mobility descriptors,
    Have you taken the self test ?

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • marymo
    marymo Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for your reply.
  • jackiehen
    jackiehen Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I got enchanted both 
  • jackiehen
    jackiehen Community member Posts: 4 Listener
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Take a look at the website. The self test can yield further information. If you have frequent seizures you should score points for activity three. My first piece of advice is to take a look at the descriptors for each activity. 
  • gruber
    gruber Posts: 29 Listener
    Beyond me is all this, but have done a fair bit of reading in the past to try to understand PIP. What confuses me with these types and numbers of the descriptors you say that they are as per the guidance you have.
    Is this guidance representing the legislation or is it an interpretation of what people think the legislation should read like? 
  • gruber
    gruber Posts: 29 Listener
    Can I possibly jump in here. Following on from what I said earlier and the kind reply, what I have come to the conclusion, rightly or wrongly is that the assessors are trained via an internal guidance document that is published by the DWP which does appear to be at many times inconsistent with the law and case law.
    If this is the case then why is the guidance not being amended to follow the legal route. 
    Expanding this further if this is also happening with other descriptors then the public are being assessed for PIP from entirely the wrong point of view, which to me as an outsider and layman is intentional on the part of the DWP. It's no wonder then why so many appeals are succeeding at a Tribunal who only apply the law and not someone's attempt to interpret it.

Just something that has always interested me.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2019
    @gruber / @yadnad....I agree that the guidance should follow the law but since it doesn't then I'm not sure that this takes us any further forward. You and I can't change anything, and neither can my MP.

For the moment I'm wondering if it might be worth following @ilovecats advice, in the first instance. It might be 'wrong' in legal terms but at least he/she is telling everyone what actually happens in practice. This might actually be more valuable than being 'right'..

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.