Severe Disability Benefit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe Disability Benefit

Options
RuthyO
RuthyO Community member Posts: 28 Connected
Hi there everyone can anybody advise me, I've just found out I'm entitled to SDB, I have the enhanced benefit from PIP, The BIG question is, will I get it backdated from October.

Thanks for taking the time to advise me 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,246 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Do you mean severe disability premium (SDP) if so then what other benefits do you claim please?

The criteria for this is you must be claiming daily living part of PIP, live alone or be classed as living alone and no one must be claiming carers allowance for looking after you. As well as claiming a qualifying means tested benefit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • RuthyO
    Options
    My benefits include PIP Enhanced living allowance and ESA contribution benefit
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If your ESA is all Contributions based then unfortunately you won't be able to claim the SDP. May i ask if your ESA is New style ESA?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • RuthyO
    Options
    I'm not sure but I spoke to the benefits office and she filled out the form asking what I had in my PIP, so I said enhanced daily living lve checked other help lines like Turn2Us they calculated it that I should qualify 

• RuthyO
    Options
    you're entitled to income-related ESAyou'll get an extra £16.80 a week, called the Enhanced Disability Premium. ... If you were getting apremium during the assessment phase as a carer or someone with a severedisability, this will continue.You can claim contribution-based ESA for as long as youneed it.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The benefit calculators are usually correct if you put all the correct information in. It can take 4 weeks for DWP to make a decision, once it's made they'll send you a decision letter.
  • RuthyO
    Options
    I should here within 5 days, I've already made an appointment with my local CAB just incase they say I'm not getting it backdated
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It should be backdated to the start of your PIP award, providing you qualified at that time.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @RuthyO and welcome to the community. Please let us know how you get on when you hear from them. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • RuthyO
    Options
    Please help, I'm so confused, I've made an appointment with my local CAB, if I've been on PIP since 2017, last year they awarded me the Enhanced Rate.
    How far back can they backdate it, is it correct I could have been entitled to the Severe Disability Premium when my PIP originally started.
    Back in 2017 I only received the Standard rate. I'm also on ESA contribution based 

HELP and Thanks Ruth
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The premiums are not paid on contributions based benefits. If you were entitled to any of the premiums at that time then DWP will assess you for this. If you were entitled to the SDP when your PIP claim started then it will be backdated to that date.

There's really nothing more you can do until DWP make a decision and that can take up to 4 weeks, depending on backlogs.
  • RuthyO
    Options
    Thanks for that, can I ask you another question, may hav asked before, memory is terrible since being hospitalised because of my mental health, I was awarded PIP on 31st January 2017 at the standard rate, will I get my SDP when MY PIP started, also got the enhanced rate for on Oct 2018 sorry Poppy I know I've repeated myself, but any help is appreciated, my Bipolar makes forget things. Thanks again Ruth
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You only need daily living part plus the other criteria needs to apply at that time. If you were entitled to the income related top up at that time then it will be backdated. I really can't give any other advice because it will totally depend on your circumstances at that time. DWP will assess you then write to you with a decision.
  • RuthyO
    Options
    Thanks again Poppy, I really appreciate it, I'm getting myself all in a tizz, CAB tomorrow, so they will sort it out for me. Xx
  • RuthyO
    Options
    I have just been in contact with the DWP and have been awarded SDP...... And it has been backdated I can't be happier and thanks for all your support and and advice, I can now go out and BUY A CAR YAAAAH.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Great news!! Enjoy your car! :)
  • RuthyO
    Options
    Thank you very much for your advice, my backdated sum is in excess of £6500 I'm still in shock, I've never seen that amount in my account,!!!
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Enjoy it. The good news is, it's disregarded for 52 weeks for all means tested benefits, which means you can spend it on anything you want, without any issues.
  • RuthyO
    Options
    So if I have more than £6000 in my account, does the DWP need to know
  • poppy123456
    edited June 2019
    Options
    The backdated money you received is from the DWP so they already know and it's disregarded for 52 weeks. If you had more than £6,000 before you had that money then they would need to know. You should have been claiming that SDP 2 years ago which is why it's disregarded for 52 weeks.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.