Are you eligible for Carer’s Allowance? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are you eligible for Carer’s Allowance?

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team

Today for Carer’s Week, we’re discussing Carer’s Allowance. Carer’s Allowance is money intended to help you look after someone who needs to be cared for. It’s the main welfare benefit for carers in the UK, but you might well be eligible for it, even if you don’t consider yourself to be a carer.

You could be eligible for Carer’s Allowance if you:

• spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a disabled person (you don't have to live with them or be related to them)
  • care for someone who receives the higher-rate or middle-rate care component of Disability Living Allowance, either rate of Personal Independence Payment daily living component, or any rate of Attendance Allowance
  • do not earn more than £123 a week (after deductions)
  • are not in full-time education

(For a full list of eligibility criteria see here.)

Did you know that at just £66.15 a week, Carer’s Allowance is the lowest benefit of its kind, even below Job Seekers Allowance? Last year, Scotland increased Carer’s Allowance to ensure carers received the equivalent of £8.50 a week, so the two benefits are now level, and Carers UK are campaigning through their Fairer for Carers campaign to see the same change rolled out across England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Want to apply for Carer’s Allowance? You can make a claim online here.

Do you think carers are fairly compensated for the vital work they do?

Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• SteveE
    SteveE Community member Posts: 88 Pioneering
    I had Carers Allowance for a few years but had to choose between State Pension or Carers Allowance. No contest. But it meant I was no longer seen as a carer, I guess. Even though I'm now well into my 48th year as a carer and will continue until I drop. No worries, son first.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    My hubby cared for me on his own for 11 years and received CA. When he became a pensioner, the government decided he wasnt a carer anymore and stopped the CA.

But he still cares for me when my outside carers aren`t with me, which is 48 hours a week. That leaves 120 hours.  We`ve been married 47 years and I`ve needed care for 20 of those. He`s my champion!
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    My son gets DLA so we qualify. This has made a difference. I use the money to fund his care at nursery and school too. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.