UC AND NEW STYLE ESA HELP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC AND NEW STYLE ESA HELP

mcman123
mcman123 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi,

I have worked with people with benefits for a long time but generally they wouldn't be applying for new-style ESA so have no idea about it. I've phoned ATOS today and they said they've made a decision on 30th May without me having to come in for an assessment (this is typical for me due to the severity of the issues). I'm assuming that I have probably passed the WCA.

I have two questions:

Because I'm on ESA new style, I understand that this would go up from 298ish to just over 400. Whereas if I was just on Universal Credit it would go up from 300ish to 600ish. Do you know if UC will pay me the difference (Around 200ish) as well as I'm on both?

Secondly, any idea how long it takes for the decision to go to DWP and then me as they made the recommendation to DWP on the 30th May.

I'm currently getting 300 ESA new-style assessment rate and 325 UC (deductions this is for rent). I'm also getting PIP which isn't affect at all by the process. If anyone who has experience of new-style ESA with UC let me know!

Comments

• mcman123
    I'm on pip ernhancved dailiy living but don't think that entitlesd em to ansything else within UC/edsa neww style
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

When claiming New style ESA and UC the amount you receive from ESA is deducted £1 for £1 from your UC payments. 

If you're placed into the Support Group (LCWRA) you'll receive the extra money. You'll also see an increase in your UC monthly payment because you'll be receiving the LCWRA BUT the ESA is deducted £1 for £1. You will be slightly better off each month because you're claiming UC than if you were just claiming New style ESA.

There's advantages to claiming both New style ESA and UC. If your circumstances change in the future then savings/capital or living with a partner that works won't affect your ESA payments like they will with UC. UC is a means tested benefit, New style ESA isn't.

As it's New style ESA you're claiming there's no disability premiums available with this so your PIP award makes no difference here. There's no premiums paid on UC either.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the decision.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mcman123
    Do you know how long it takes after the decision has been made? And financially I'll be no better or worse off on UC and NEWSTYLE esa is that correct? and I also get NI contributions paid which is good.

• poppy123456
    There's no timescales to decisions. It depends on backlog in your area.

You're not financially worse off by claiming both BUT claiming New style ESA can have it's advantages in the future as previously explained. UC pays claim 3 NI credits but New style ESA pay class 1.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • mcman123
    Yup, that's the reason I done it really. Well the decision has been made just have to wait, hope it's sooner rather than later.

• poppy123456
    The health assessment providers don't make the decisions, they make recommendations. DWP decision maker make the decisions.
  • mcman123
    They didn't call me in for assessment and assessed my claim so I think they have recommended that I get the full amount as I had an absolute plethora of evidence saying that I cannot work at present. Is there a rough guideline for the Decision Maker or not really?
  • poppy123456
    I've just re-read your first post. As this is your first work capability assessment and you had a paper based assessment then the decision should be to place you into the Support Group (LCWRA)

For others reading this, you can't be found fit for work without a face to face assessment (unless it's failing to attend or failing to return the WCA form). However, when it's your first work capability assessment a paper based assessment means Support Group (LCWRA)
  • Nader
    Nader Community member Posts: 59 Courageous

For others reading this, you can't be found fit for work without a face to face assessment (unless it's failing to attend or failing to return the WCA form). However, when it's your first work capability assessment a paper based assessment means Support Group (LCWRA)
    Thanks for this piece of information Poppy. Very helpful to know!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.