If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

No contact from work

bbe72bbe72 Posts: 9Member Listener
Hi
I have been off on long term sick for 8 months. Whilst work were paying sick pay they had regular contact with me. I saw the work occupational health who advised unlikely able to return to work & if did would have high sickness. Since this & my company sick pay stop I have only had one phone call from HR. She advised we now have to through the formal route of regular meetings, seeing if work can accommodate me or worse scenario I am dismissed on I'll health. That was few weeks ago. I have not heard from my manager since April. Should my work be doing more. Should I be having more help & contact from them. I have worked there for nearly 13years. Can they just dismiss me on I'll health or do they have to pay me severance. Do I need to do anything. How long should this go on for. Any advice would be appreciated 
Thank you x

Replies

• April2018momApril2018mom Posts: 1,175Member Pioneering
    Have you emailed back? If there is no response I’d suggest looking for another job. Do you have a resume or not? 
  • bbe72bbe72 Posts: 9Member Listener
    I cannot work at the moment due to my disability. I am not giving up 13years service without a fight. Surely there must be some law that protects me from being treated like this. I am covered under the discrimination law aswell  
  • pmbpmb Posts: 1Member Listener
    First of all check your contract of employment
    check your employers policies and guidelines on sick pay 
    ask yourself have you complied with the companies requirements
    write a clear letter outlining your situation with dates of sickness and contact to date
    ask to meet with your manager or HR
    consider taking a union rep or advocate with you
    plan you meeting
    what do you want to ask?
    do you want to return to work.?Can you return to the job you were doing?
    can the company adapt you role to support you to return?
    If you cannot return to a working role because of illness or permanent disability and the company cannot adapt a role then they can terminate your contract with notice a you cannot fulfil your contractual obligation
    it's often a challenging situation to find yourself in so consider taking advice from citizens advice or disability advocacy groups in your area. They may advise that you seek independent legal advice.
    good luck

• bbe72bbe72 Posts: 9Member Listener
    @pmb thank you for your advice. Very helpful 
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Posts: 3,259Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @bbe72, I'm so sorry to hear this, it must be incredibly difficult! I would recommend getting professional advice about this as they will be the best people to advise you legally. ACAS  might be a good place to start. I really hope you can get things sorted! Please do keep us updated :)
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Posts: 2,427Administrator Scope community team
    edited June 21
    Hi @bbe72.
    Sorry to read this, but if ACAS doesn’t pan out, you might try Equality Advisory and Support Service.
    Senior Online Community Officer
    Scope
Sign in or join us to comment.