Willowtree — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Willowtree

Options
Willowtree
Willowtree Community member Posts: 4 Listener
i suffer with fybromyagia and as I am getting older I am finding that the pain seems to be getting worse.  I also suffer with IBS, asthma and depression.  I still work full time and live on my own, I really don't know how I manage sometimes let alone get to work.  I have had physio, counselling but feel some days I just don't want to carry on this way.  I am 65 this year and don't use my car for work as it would cost too much in parking so I really feel I need some kind of support financially as well as having people I can turn for advice.  I know I work but my colleagues just shrug my fibro of because they can't see it and i find this is the same with any hidden illness.  Is there anyone who can help with benefit advise as I don't understand them at all.

Comments

• jaki1972
    jaki1972 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    hi...ive worked all my life also and I live on my own.....but recently ive had to have a number of operation and could not return to work and had to turn to benefits....I applied for something called PIP...you can get this benefit if you are working and finding things rough...they maybe able to point you in the direction of any other help you maybe entitled to..call them ask them to send you a claim form....number for them is...0800 917 2222....its hard when you have a illness nobody can see or understand...I get that....good luck...chin up....
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Willowtree   Pleased to meet you .

Thank you for sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and help members of the forum.

Please can I suggest have a look at our website we have lots of information on benefits.

Benefits find out more.

https://www.gov.uk./browse/benefits.

You have been given some good information and advice from @jaki1972 Hope that is helpful to you.

I would also consider speaking to CAB  for further benefit advice and guidance, information. They have expertise and knowledge on benefits.

They can be complicated and confusing.

Please can I also advise further AGEUK.

Have a look at their website lots of information, advice guidance and lots more. Might be useful for your particular health issues and wellbeing.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk.

Helpline 0800 055 6112.

Please ask anything.  Some one will know.  From our community or a member of our team.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

You maybe entitled to PIP but it will depend how your conditions affect you. It's not about a diagnosis, but how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

As you'll be 65 this year then this will be the last time you will be able to apply for PIP, when you reach 65 it then becomes Attendance allowance and there's no mobility part to that.

You will need evidence to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this.

If you're successful then you'll continue to receive past state pension age for as long as you're entitled to it.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Willowtree and welcome to the community! The advice provided by the community has been really good, I hope the above links work.

There also is a benefit calculator which you may find useful to have a look at. 

What kind of work do you do? You may benefit from reasonable adjustment within your workplace. If you have anymore questions about this then please do let me know :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.