BACKPAY BENEFIT — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

BACKPAY BENEFIT

Options
faithleap
faithleap Community member Posts: 3 Listener
HI folks
I hope everyone is happy and if you're still fighting don't give up.  I'll send you positives. 
I recieved a letter today stating my son well recieved £8000 in back pay this week. I've almost died from shock. 
My son was born with disability and his money was taken away approx 2 years ago.  He was given his PIP because they'd failed to recognise the danger he was in in every day life. 
His PIP was given back. Then they phoned about ESA under payment and disability premium.  I didn't think for one second the total would be this much.  I became disabled recently with a muscle and nerve disease,  my doctor told me to claim it and I've never had a problem, excluding the £70 offer week thing for 16 or so weeks.  Although I've never had a problem with claiming benefits I've decided it's not a very nice place to be. 
So although i digress my question is do i have to disclose the amount and lose benefit for it.  I'm sure anything more than £7000 your benefits are stopped.  I feel it would be totally unfair for them to take this money away again as it should have been what he should have had every week for the last 6 years.  On the other hand i don't want to be slammed for not disclosing and have a fraud record against my name. 
If they cannot recognisea life long disability it's their problem right? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,366 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I answered your question on your other thread, it's confusing when you start 2 threads with the same question. https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/60922/backpay#latest Was the overpayment all for ESA underpayment or was some of it for PIP? If some of it was for ESA then was that amount more than £5,000?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.