Research into living independently with a disability — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Research into living independently with a disability

Options
cschryver
cschryver Community member Posts: 1 Listener
hi everyone! I’m currently taking part in my DT gcse NEA and am wanting to do some research into living independently with a disability, I was wondering if you guys could help me and answer some questions. 

- Is there any disabilities you may have that means u struggle with day to day activities around the home? 

- what are some of those issues that you may face? 

- Is there any products that you would like to be created that aren’t currently on the market / are too expensive?

Thankyou in advance,
charlotte

Comments

• Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Options
    hello charlotte i am sorry to see that your post didnt have any replies as yet.

I am a wheelchair user who lives in a council property, they seem to be getting more and more reluctant to help with adaptions and try and put things off or get you to self fund.

Generally speaking and product that is designed to be used by "the disabled" is overpriced because companies know they have a captive audience who need these items, that coupled with the fact that there are few manufacturers creates a monopoly situation 

renting in the private sector is nigh on impossible for me because ground floor flats and bungalows tend to be expensive, havent got adapted kitchens and bathrooms and also dont tend to come with accessible parking spaces.

I hope this helps and please do message if you would like to chat further 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Lets answer your questions one by one

A- my disability means I cannot use a checkbook. But I compensate for dyscalculia. Since I struggle with maths I leave finances to my partner and deal with paperwork instead. 
    B-Not sure
    C- My disability is mild. Nevertheless I write down times of appointments and trains in a notebook I keep in my apartment. I also use it to record numbers and dates. Those are my coping techniques. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @cschryver, I have mild cerebral palsy which affects my balance and coordination. I find it hard to chop things up when I am cooking and haven't been able to find a suitable solution. I only have full use of one hand but can experience a lot of spasms which probably isn't the safest when holding a knife! It is also difficult to drain pans as they are too heavy for me to lift. 

I hope this helps :)  
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.