Wheelchair Accessible Travel: Survival Guide — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wheelchair Accessible Travel: Survival Guide

Options
Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger

The community is currently sharing blogs about travel and holiday, but what top tips would we give to someone who wanted to travel?

Carrie- Ann Lightley is an award-winning accessible travel blogger who shares reviews, guides and expert tips about travel as a wheelchair user in the UK and overseas. Today she has kindly shared her survival guide with the community.

Travelling as a wheelchair user can be stressful, worrying and sometimes disastrous. But it can also be exciting, empowering and absolutely wonderful. There’s no fail-safe way to ensure everything goes to plan, but with a little extra care and attention it is possible to survive through the bumps in the accessible travel road, and thrive on the joy that the journey brings.
  • Research, research, and research some more
  • Document everything
  • Ensure you’re insured
  • Protect your equipment
  • Allow time for delays
  • If things do go wrong, give yourself a break

Click here to read the full blog post by Carrie- Ann Lightley.

What would your top tip for travelling be? Do you currently have any travel plans? Leave your ideas below!

Scope

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks Carrie-Ann for sharing your holiday experiences and providing the above great tips.  They are really helpful.  I haven't been on holiday for a while due to my mobility, but hope to in the future,  I think you have highlighted all the top tips for travelling so I can't add to that, but I agree that researching before your hols really is the key!  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Pack sensibly 
    Prepare well 
    Research your destination well so you can prepare
    Make a itinerary in case
    Get as much information as possible to make a informed decision
    Ask questions as required 
    Shop around if possible but pay attention to your gut feeling. 
    Protect your dignity this is important 
    Ensure you are treated properly again important
    Book hotel room or other accommodation in advance you don’t want to have to wing it especially in a foreign city or town. 
    Sort out all transport in advance as few things are worse than horrible unprofessional or dangerous drivers
    Read reviews carefully as this will tell you more. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you for these @April2018mom! Very helpful!
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.