Are Sam Smiths Pubs discriminating against partially sighted? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are Sam Smiths Pubs discriminating against partially sighted?

Options
robertfall
robertfall Community member Posts: 1 Listener

I was in a Samuel Smiths pub last night and learned that a partially sighted man was told he was not allowed to read his newspaper on an electronic device because they have been banned by the owner.

There are print versions of newspapers in the pub, and fully sighted customers are allowed to read books.

This seems like discrimination to me. Do you think the partially sighted man I spoke to might have a legal case against the chain?

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @robertfall and thank you for sharing this with us. I am unsure if there would be a legal case there, unfortunately this isn't something the community could advise on.

However, it is an interesting discussion. Being partially sighted myself, I too would only be able to read if it was on an electronic advice and it seems unfair when that's the only way I could read!
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    An interesting issue @robertfall. I hadn't heard about this, so thanks for bringing it to our attention and welcome to the community.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.