Blue badge — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Blue badge

Options
christinac
christinac Community member Posts: 1 Listener
i am a 73years old female I’m retired ,I have arthritis and find it hard walking about I don’t get benifits can I get a blue badge ,just to help me when I go shopping thank you Christina 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,298 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

As you don't receive a qualifying benefit then you will need to have a look what the criteria is for your local council.

There's nothing stopping you applying but you'll need evidence to support your claim and you'll need to attend an assessment.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Options
    My aunt got one, been wondering how. She has no walking problems. 
    Thought it Was just on her age of 90 
    Solihull council
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @christinac and a warm welcome to the community! I hope the advice given will answer your question. Please do let us know if there is anything else we can do to help :)
    Scope

• Daniel
    Daniel Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Options
    I'm 63 retired through ill health and have 'qualified' for a blue badge, this being the 2nd 'term', i.e. on to the second three year-allowance. Being granted this has transformed my life so much, I suffer from spinal problems, often spasms and frequent flare ups, have osteoarthritis in most joints following the injuries sustained in a car crash and now have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. 
    Now I can travel to appointments etc in my own time, do not have to depend on others, as I don't always know until the actual time whether I will be well enough to travel or not even up to the time of leaving. I only have to 'put myself out' now, if I suddenly cannot go etc  I am so unreliable through ill health only now no one else that matters needs to know.
    I cannot get out of the car unless there is plenty of room to open the door right back, I get stuck, which is quite frightening, being able to use the wider bays has really helped my situation. (Yesterday in a row of blue badge bays, the car owner next to where I had parked selfishly parked his car  over the yellow hatches between our 2 cars and when I got back I could not get into my driver's seat, it brought so many memories back of struggling without the blue badge!
    I would advise anyone to apply for a blue badge who feels they are going to benefit from using it.

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I’m 22 years old and we have a Blue Badge. My almost 3 year old son was eligible so we applied last fall. It is very handy especially at night if we are at a pub or cinema etc. Even at hospitals it has saved me time over the past nine months. I don’t remember having one when I was a child however. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.